Flying with a Newborn.....What should I take and prepare for?

OK, around X-Mas/New Years I will be flying from OH to AZ. Luckily my mum is joining me and my fiancee will aready be waiting (He's driving the rest of our stuff out) I will be breastfeeding and know that helps with their ears popping. Anything else I should bring or maybe take into consideration flying with my new monster :) Afraid I'll be 'that person' who has the screaming infant the entire trip....Thanks!

itsaboy1208

Asked by itsaboy1208 at 4:06 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i really dont think it will be that bad, just breastfeed and keep the baby close and comfortable.
    toys wont really entertain lol so that wont be of much help.

keep them in comfortable clothing.. maybe pjs or something because its not so restricting...and i would just have a long sleeves on him and pants on socks and a jacket for when you land.. arizona isnt that FREEZING at all. it will probably be like 45 degrees or something... :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I agree with the PP, also, FYI, they will do preboarding for those with kids, so keep that in mind. As long as you know how to keep him/her quiet at home, you should be okay on the plane (as long as you nurse during the descent, unless baby is peacefully sleeping... it happens!). Good luck, and have a safe trip!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I don't fly, but when taking long trips always adopted the motto "pack like you're preparing for the end of the earth" I took everything with me, just in case. lol
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 8:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I found flying with a baby relatively easy, but she did nurse like double and wet through her diaper and onto my lap. So be prepared to change diapers more often based intake and pack a change of pants for yourself just in case.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i also heard on tv one day that even if ur child is crying dont get urself stressed out bc u will more thn likely not going to see those people again...expect ur mom....good luck, stay stressfree and have a safe trip merry christmas
    pebbles425

Answer by pebbles425 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Keep the baby in comfortable clothing and take his/her car seat on the plane and strap it in the seat next to you(make sure it is FAA approved first.) Baby might be more comfortable in their seat and it is much safer than putting them in your lap.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 2:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2008