What age is OK for a child to play in fenced in backyard alone? (with adult checking through window)

What age do you think is it OK for a child to go in the backyard to play on their own with an adult peeping out ever 10min or so?

Like mom cleans house while child goes outside but you look out the window often to check on them?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• If it was fenced it maybe 3 1/2 or 4 just because they understand a little more.. But Im a nervous nelly and I would have to be out there with mine lol Plus we live close to the woods and our yard isnt fenced in yet ..
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• 18months if the yard is child safe. go out and check to make sure there is nothing he can get hurt on and no holes in your fence.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• 3-4 really? my 4 year old has known her boundaries and stayed in them in our yard/driveway area without a fence since 2 1/2. if my yard was fenced my 22 month old would be out there too.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• If its a tall fence (4-5ft tall) and its the back yard I would say 3-4 yrs old. If its like a chain length fence or in the front yard, close to a road or something maybe 7-8 yrs old.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My oldest is 2.5, and I would say NO for him.. and i would think 3 is pushing it also, just judging by my sons maturity level. but my bf's 5 year old girls are just fine outside by themselves, and probably were at age 4 also. so I would say it has to do alot with the child. if they are old enough to understand the rules of playing outside alone, they should b fine.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 10:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• 2 1/2 or so. also depends on the maturity of the child, and how safe the yard is. like, if there are holes in the yard, like little holes they can get their foot stuck in, i'd be out there with them until we got them fixed...

we used to live on post, and right behind our house was a park. it wasn't fenced in, but there were always older kids there. i used to sit in the backyard and read a book while watching ds playing there with the older kids. the nieghborhood kids were awsome with him, a couple of the girls loved babies and were always with him when they were there, playing with him, pushing him on swings. it helped me out alot cuz i was hugely pregnant at one time, and after that i had a newborn lol. books were few and far between after she came along lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I say 2
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• For my kids it would probably have been 2. Our back yard then wasn't child safe, though. We now have a nice fenced yard and I might try my youngest out there this summer but he'll only be 1. We'll see.
    My older kids have free-range of the street/neighborhood. My youngest dd just turned 5 and has been walking to and from friends houses since we moved here last summer. Now she is allowed to play out front alone (previously she had to have an older sibling with her). She was even playing outside with them when she was 2 and we lived in Chicago. All the neighborhood kids looked out for her and I felt very safe. My kids already take the baby (almost 9mo) for walks around the block/neighborhood now. They are 10, 9 and 8.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My kids played in the backyard on their own since before they turned 2. I was always within ear shot and often looked out to check on them.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• 5 or 6 years.. any younger & I feel its unsafe little one don't gully understand danger.. if a stranger talked to them through the fence most would talk back.. they get into stuff still.. the put everything in their mouth until 2 sometimes.. sorry I disagree with these ladies I think kids need heavy supervision until 5-6.. now if they have an older sibling to tell you if they are being unsafe then I say 4.. my 8 yr & 4 yr play in front of my apartment no fence, I leave my door open ( screen closed) so I can see them & I open a window to hear them + I peek out every so often.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2011