Is grounding an effective punishment?

I need three reasons how it is or is not. Please help asap

Mr.IneedHelp

Asked by Mr.IneedHelp at 10:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• if the child likes to go out, it is, if the child likes to stay in his or her room anyways its not.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 11:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It depends on the child. For me, it was not. I didn't want to go out or have friends over. I was more than happy to sit in my room all night. In fact I was grounded for literally YEARS - from the beginning of 9th grade til the end of 11th.

For my children (who are much younger mind you) it works wonderfully. The fact that they can't be out and about with family or watching TV or whatever usually gets a big reaction.

So I think it really depends on the child. For kids like me, who prefer to be alone, it's not effective at all. For kids who want to be out, want to be active, definitely.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It sure was for me I hated to get grounded that was the only thing that worked on me...
    mommatabby

Answer by mommatabby at 11:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It isn't. Children eventually become immune to being confined to their room.
    jenmerk

Answer by jenmerk at 11:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Nope. I got grounded a million times in middle/high school generally for the same things. I never learned my lesson.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 11:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• First off, every child is different and responds to different punishments. Grounding is the idea of taking away something they truly like to do or privileges. It is effective if you stick to it and don't make it longer than it should be. It will not be effective on some kids while others it will.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It depends on the child or the age of the child. Grounding didn't work for my son, but lecturing and taking away his favorite things did. All it did for me was make me better at getting away with what I shouldn't have been doing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think it depends on the child. My son is disapointed in himself when he gets into trouble. He is really hard on himself. So it's really hard to ground him.
    Rikki0305

Answer by Rikki0305 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• depends on how old, what they did, and their personality.. but I think with most kids its effective if they know what they did and its appropriate.. i know someone that grounds all the time and for long periods of time so its lost its effectiveness
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It never worked for me, but I think I know why:

Dad: You're grounded for a week.
    10 year old me: *whine*, *grumble*, *stomp*

2 days later.
    10 year old me: Hey, can I go to my friend's house?
    Dad: Is your room clean?
    Me: Yeah.
    Dad: Okay. Be back by 4.

WIN.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:05 AM on Apr. 11, 2011