How do you get a serious child to just be a fun loving kid?

My six year old daughter is sooo serious. She never wants to laugh and play. She wants to do grownup things all the time, (ie cook, clean, laundry). She has two younger siblings that are content to play and pretend, but she doesn't want any part of it. What can I do to bring out the child in her???

standr4

Asked by standr4 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does she like doing those chores? She might be enjoying herself. Maybe to get her to pretend more you can try to play a game with the chores she loves. Make it into a game.

If she doesn't pretnend at all I would talk to a developmental psychologist. Pretend play is an important part of a child's development. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with her. But it would probably be best to have her evaluated just to make sure.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:56 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Why does everyone always want to get there kids "evaluated" anymore why can't we just love them for who they are and "deal" with them come lets suck it up and be parents not take them to the little miracle worker to medicate them and make them all better.
    Anonymous

• try telling her you can't be young forever. you have plenty of time to have fun later.... or maybe something is bothering her and she feels like emotionally if she plays pretend she isn't showing how she really feels. maybe shes worried and shes so young maybe she doesn't even realize shes doing this. try talking to her.
    scarletsm0m

Answer by scarletsm0m at 6:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• i would also show her how to be fun loving and maybe take her to theatre , they have acting classes for 5 yrs olds and up, does she have griends her age? maybe look into some play groups, some children are more mature than others, everyone is different, or maybe give her MOre attention , dont let her watch the news. that can depress a child very much,
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 2:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I never said that I wanted to take her to a "miracle worker" and I do love her very much for who she is. I just want her to know that she is not responsible for the way the world works. She is just a kid and I want her to enjoy her childhood, Something I did not get to do!!
    standr4

Answer by standr4 at 8:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2008