Judgement on weight...

is it wrong to assume that an overweight person is lazy? I think that is the first judgement everyone has when they see someone who is overweight. I admit I am 280 lbs and I KNOW i need to lose weight, but the more I hear about it, the less i want to. I am an emotional eater so when I get harped on about my weight I just want to eat more.

Why can't people be more understanding on others weight troubles?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I dont judge. There are people who are easy thin and can eat a lot and stay that way and there ar others who can eat half of that and get lots of weight.
    Dont let others get to you. You wanna lose wight you do it for yourself! Always thing about that.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 11:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think a lot of people assume that every overweight person wants to lose weight. I am over weight and am happy.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I feelyour pain...I am 183 and have lost some weight but need to lose a whole lot more but like you an emotional eater.... I spent 25years skinny and so far 7 years overweight altho it seems like a lifetime:(
    Anonymous

• No I don't automatically assume that an overweight person in lazy. I have worked with disabled people and I know from experience that some people have side effects of medication that make them gain weight like crazy. That's just an example, but you really just never know what a persons situation is. I am a very active person and my bmi puts me into the overweight category. That's just how my body is and it will probably never change.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I dont think they are lazy per say but over 90% of obese people really lack any form of will power and usually eat to comfort themselves.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• No, I don't. I know many overweight or obese people that are healthy and happy. I don't judge someone else because I don't know their situation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I don't really think the majority are lazy, It's just that get tired too easy cause of their weight, they just can't bend certain ways, and they run out of breath a little quicker, then they should. But I know a few people that are really heavy and they are always on the run,
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I'm at least 100 lbs overweight and have every excuse in the book. Some of my current excuses are valid, but I'm also in a pattern of non exercise that I'm not real interested in changing. It's NOT a lack of will-power. It's NOT all about comfort eating. For me it's a lack of motivation, support and accountability.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i am overweight unfortunately and i always worry that people think i am lazy. i am a sahm and have an almost 4 yr old and a 9 month old to keep up with along with the house work and what not. Yes i am an emotional eater and it sucks. the worse i feel about how i look the more it makes me want to eat as counter productive as that is. i do agree that with rosehawk.... motivation and support would be nice. So with that being said no i do not think they are lazy i just wish there was something i could do to help them and myself
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would think it would be emotional eating before laziness.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 11, 2011