Anyone study the dead sea scrolls?

How valid do you think they are and why were they hidden? What are the theories behind that? Are there many difference between them and the bible? I tried to look it up but I got so many dang things that were not related to what I was looking for.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I have read a little about them, but I have not studied them extensively. Personally, I would search for 'dead sea scrolls archaeology' first to get some archaeological information for comparison of the historical references mentioned on any sites with religious opinions about them. Then, I'd check any of those links for sources or recommended books on the subject if I wanted to study it further.

Here are a few links I just now found that could be helpful (they're the type of links I'd start with myself anyway):

Smithsonian: Who Wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls?

About the Dead Sea Scrolls

Dead Sea Scrolls Foundation
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• This site looks promising too. There are a lot of resources and articles listed. Hope some of these help. :-)

The Orion Center for the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• "The library appears to have been hidden away in caves around the outbreak of the First Jewish Revolt (66-70 A.D.) as the Roman army advanced against the Jews."

This ^^^ seems to be a consistent reason given for them being hidden away. So, they probably put them there to protect them during the conflict. It sounds like they think they belonged to one of the Jewish sects.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Most of the debate seems to be about whether a group called the Essenes wrote them.

The texts (though most are poorly preserved) are from many OT books. Prior to finding them, the oldest complete Bibles were only from 1000 years ago (give or take--I've seen a couple date ranges, usually around 9th-10th century). So, they are important to scholars, because they are fragments that are dated much earlier--late 1st or 2nd century?

I also found this link with several books listed.

Gnosis Bookstore
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• -late 1st or 2nd century?

--

That should be something like 150 BCE (BC) to 70 CE (AD) for their date estimates.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yes, i studies them years ago. I think they are about as valid as the bible....neat stuff for sure.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• interesting.
    ash707

Answer by ash707 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Thank you ladies. I am going to try and look this stuff up. I am working on some things for my new book and just doing research on this for a potential work next year :)
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2011