What was your last emergency purchase?

Today I went to pull out some steaks to thaw for dinner...and hahahaha...they were thawed for sure. My fridge/freezer took a crap on me. So tonight we had to go out and buy a new one plus replace everything that was spoiled (or that I didn't trust). Egh, it just irks me that I JUST went grocery shopping yesterday. LOL

So what was your last emergency purchase, and how do you plan for it? We just always keep a set amount in our savings before investments to cover things like this. It is a relief to know that the expense is covered, but still really annoying.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• a new computer. I dropped my monitor during spring cleaning and it ripped out of the computer which ruined the mother board. I freaked and ordered a new one. I didn't plan. Good thing they gave me credit for it

Answer by admckenzie at 11:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Oh gosh, sorry about your freezer! Mine was nothing near that big, luckily. Just a tampon.... I have an IUD, & haven't had a period in over 2 years. But when does it choose to strike, with the heaviest flow ever? When I'm at work on the hospital floor, with 8 hours on my feet left on my shift, WHEN I'M WEARING WHITE SCRUB PANTS. No period in 2 years=no supplies in my locker. I was not a happy nurse. Luckily, we have a vending machine in the bathroom that dispenses feminine hygeine products. But yea, that was most definitely an emergency purchase!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think my last one was a new laptop! My old computer died after 3 good years of service. I had already replaced the hard drive and the monitor, and then the motherboard just quit on me. So I guess it was time!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• A funeral =(
    We've got an emergency fund so I guess we're lucky that we had the money when we needed it.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Tires!

I have a cushion for emergencies: a savings account. $100 from each paycheck goes automatically in there via direct deposit and I never withdraw unless it's the absolute last resort.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 11:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• 2011 the year of the broken EVERYTHING! Let's see. My van died, bought a new truck. Had blizzard, DH's nephew rolled DH's truck..totaled, bought DH a new truck. Furnace broke, replaced furnace...that furnace broke. Dishwasher broke, replaced dishwasher. This just in...computer at home has virus, need new one. UNCLE!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Geez salexander...2011 has been the year of Murphy's law for you! You made me feel bad for complaining about my fridge. This week I also got my van into the shop for the recalls that were out on it and they called to say that it was completely screwed up and they were keeping it for 2 weeks to 4 months. LOL. I'm due in a few weeks and in a rental that is not big enough until they can "get me something bigger". Egh. At least it is just the week...not the year so far! LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011