should i buy the ipod?

My son will be 12 on dec 28. for christmas he has been asking for an ipod. actually the last 2 Christmases he has asked. I am hanging on the edge. Should I buy it or not? Do you think he is to young? and how would you seperate your itunes/mp3 list from his if you only have 1 computer?

thewife1

Asked by thewife1 at 6:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• For my children we got them MP3 players not ipods. They wanted something to listen to their music on when they were at swim meets and things like that. The MP3 players were less expensive then the ipod and they work just as good.

As far as separating music my kids and I listen to a lot of the same things. I believe you could add a library to you itunes for his music. I also think that if you get and actual ipod the computer will know the difference between yours and his.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• If he can show that he is responsible with his MP3 maybe next year he can get a nice shiny iPod :) And by time next year rolls around they will be a lot cheaper and there will be something new out that will be a lot nicer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• they have some of the older ipods for cheap now that the touch is out. as for your music, yes you can create seperate playlists on your itunes in your computer. we have 4 files right now. actually i have one for my little clip on ipod just running songs and a big file for my large ipod.
    i got my 14 year old son the ipod touch for xmas this year. and im sure he will be busy organizing it.
    ipod and itunes are so easy to use and comon nowthat i think they are a great idea.
    5ontherock

Answer by 5ontherock at 6:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Buy him a refurbished iPod from the online Apple Store. They are cheaper(about the same price as an MP3) and come packaged just like new.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i wouldn't reccomend a refurbished. I just know how when i get refurbished cell phones the stores give me to replace my phones i ususally take them backbecause they don't work properly.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i like the ipods bc you can buy the extra stuff like the stereos to put them on, i do have a reg. mp3 and now am going to get an ipod for that reason, i checked the refurbished and you can buy them straight from the apple store and they come with a year warranty. so i guess it would be up to you
    erickaspivey

Answer by erickaspivey at 9:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would never buy another MP3. The IPod shuffle is reasonably priced and is so much easier than a MP3. I have a IPod Nano and my 11 yo takes it all the time (he broke his). We have seperate playlists, and I have different folders for all of us saved on my desktop. SS has a MP3 and has a seperate folder, too.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would say yes.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 1:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would say it depends - you know your son, how does he take care of his other toys and stuff? If he takes good care of things and it wouldn't distract him from school and chores, I would buy it. 12's a good age to recieve something like that. And you can keep your lists seperate on your computer - when he plugs his ipod in the computer will read it as his, different from yours.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 3:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• All 4 of my kids have them ages 7-12 they have volume limits and they are all responsible for it
    koolest_mom_of4

Answer by koolest_mom_of4 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008