When do you "meet the family?"

At what point in a somewhat new relationship do you meet the other persons family???Only when it is getting serious....or when a certain amount of time has passed....when???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• It really depends. In my case DH had met my mom shortly after we had met. I had a housewarming party while she was visiting me and he showed up. I didn't meet his parents until we had known each other for about 6 weeks. Then again, we knew very early on that we would eventually marry.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Depends on the person. Usually only when they know it's serious.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• when the time feels right. Pretty much when things are getting serious.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think it depends on your other half's personality and how strong their feelings are. I find that the more outgoing and easygoing the guy, the less he makes it a big deal to meet the family and these types also seem to treat the relationship more like friendship (which is good). There are some guys that make such a big deal about it and coincidentally they have problems making commitments. There are probably some that don't know themselves when is the proper time to introduce you to family and it could mean nothing if they haven't let you meet them yet. Sometimes it has nothing to do with you but what YOU think of his family! Some guys have some trouble figuring out their feelings. After around 6 months - 1 year I think is average. I wouldn't push anything but the best thing to do in a relationship is not to act but to observe. You can't make anyone do anything but you can decide what you will tolerate & change what u do
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Too soon!
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 12:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• OH - I'd say after 3 months or 12+ good dates a very casual lunch or light dinner with the fam is appropriate. if there is instant hate it's a deal breaker, right?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We've been married 3 and a half years and I haven't met the family yet. My inlaws live in a different country. How lucky am I???!!!!!!!
    goddess99

Answer by goddess99 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My husband (of 7 years) we didn't meet each others parents til after we got married. LOL. Married 12/11, met the in laws the week of Xmas, were pregnant by ground hogs day.

My relationship directly before marrying my hubby his parents were very (overly) involved in my life. And after he tried to kill me and I was too scared to press charges (but the police took photos and they prosecuted him anyway and also got the FBI involved after he plotted to hijack a plane and blow up my apt building) his parents stood by him in court, got him the best legal counsel and sold their home to fund his defense, etc etc etc really soured me against in-laws. I keep mine are arms length and will always be secretly scared of them
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:08 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It all depends on you and the guy you're seeing. The ive been seeing takes care of his sick mom so i met her right away. All what you guys are comfortable with.
    shaylamatull

Answer by shaylamatull at 1:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• As soon as the 2 of you get sexual active towards one another
    clementhia

Answer by clementhia at 5:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2011