Extreme couponing...doesn't most expire after a few months?

Okay, I know most of the stuff can have a year's worth of use...if not opened, but also medicine loses it's shelf life and so on so forth. I was bouncing around on hulu.com when I saw clips of this new show Extreme Couponing. I don't do coupons (unless they're stickied under the item at the store) so I was curious. Stumbled upon a clip showing a woman's endless supply in her home. First thought was expiration. To buy a year's supply is a little over the top...then again, I guess that's why it's called EXTREME.

I'd say it's a good idea if you can do your shopping in one dose, sure. If you have the space in the fridge/freezer to hold a lot of it...but stuff does expire...so just wondering...thoughts on this? (too many categories to put this under lol).

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 12:26 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Shopping

• I think in the long run u would waste both ur time and money because things have an expiration date and most would expire before you could use it. Now i can see stocking up on toilet paper & Paper towels and laundry and dish soap but anything else would be stupid. My mom used to stock up on dry rice and beans and soaps and stuff like that but nothing that expires. when stuff expires that's when you waste money cuz it just has to be thrown away. I'ts like OCD if you ask me and it is like hoarding food and non parishable items it would be frustrating to live in a home like that. Then you've wasted ur time clipping coupons if it expires as well. these women and men are spending hours before their shopping trips I find most coupons are not for things i even use.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We only buy what we use and if its on sale - that is where you can really save
    normasue2

Answer by normasue2 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Oh man I wish I knew how to do this. I would love to be able to do it just for the fun of it.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I try to make my meals around what coupons I find. Its true you need to have a big fridge/freezer and storage space. One day I saved $50 with coupons
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think extreme couponers are just another form of hoarders. Who needs 500 rolls of toilet paper??? Coupons are great, if they are for things you already plan on buying. If there's a great sale or coupon I'll stock up, but never more than a month's worth of anything.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I was telling DH while we were watching it that they don't NEED that much stuff and they should donate what they don't need. But maybe they get a "high" off of seeing it all stacked up?!
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• if i have a coupon or there is sale for something i need or want to buy, then that's awesome, but im not one to go out of my way just to buy something because now i have a coupon.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 1:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think stocking up on things that don't go bad (Toilet paper ) is fine. My MIL has a small stock of items. She could probably go a month, maybe two without buying groceries. But to stock up for a year + is just insane and yes most things have expiration dates.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:22 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Those people are crazy!! Who needs 67 bottles or mustard?? I just don't get it, but then, I don't understand hoarders either.

KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2011