Does getting induced hurt?

Monique1993

Asked by Monique1993 at 2:08 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• My water broke but I didn't go into labor. So they put me on patosin (sp) to start the contractions...and nope, didn't hurt. lol
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Depends on how it's done I suppose. My DD was VERY stubborn and I was induced 7 times, including stretching the cervix (OWWW!), Jelled (not at all), put on oxytocin ( made my contractions come fast and hard) and finally water broken - didn't hurt at all

mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 2:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It makes it worse, but labor in general will hurt...The actual meds to induce don't hurt, though.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I was induced with 2 of my 3 children and it didn't hurt it just starts your contractions.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Usually it does-- most moms tend to get drugs to help with it.
    But it depends on how it's done and probably mom's preparation & support to get through.

Because forcing the uterus to contract is usually done with harsh drugs, it can be really hard on the mom & baby. This can hurt, sure!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• No i got my epidural before i had them induce me
    jadesmommy2010

Answer by jadesmommy2010 at 3:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would encourage you to read the following article about Pitocin. I did not write it, I'm not trying to spam anyone - this is just sharing information that I think is really important - there is growing concern about the risks associated with inducing labor. I encourage anyone who is considering an induction to educate themselves about the possible risks vs. the benefits. Do you really believe that 50% of American women can't give birth without being induced??!!
    http://birthfaith.org/pitocin/pitocins-untold-impact
    PDX_Doula_Kate

Answer by PDX_Doula_Kate at 3:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yes it does.
    isa_edwards

Answer by isa_edwards at 4:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I was induced with pitocin and was in labor for 12 hours and my water never broke and I never dilated past 2 or 3 cm. So, I had to have an emergency c-section. The pitocin made the contractions really strong and I had back labor the whole time... and sorry, but yes it hurt. But like one of the other mommies said, labor in general hurts.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 4:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• was induced once and had 2 nautral drug free births and I gotta say that being induced & on drugs was much much worse for me! it took me much much longer to eb able to get up out of the bed and go tothe bathroon & shower after being induced. with my natural births I was up walking around within 15 minutes! I would try to avoid being induced if possible. JMO.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 5:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2011