Should I Break Her Other Legs?

Ok, so long story short, my hound puppy and I got tangled up on the stairs last week which ended up with her leg and my wrist broken. Having recieved no instructions on the matter, and since Nikki seemed like she was doing just fine, I've been letting her run around and play and go for walks. Well, when I took her back to the vet to get the splint changed, she told me that Nikki shouldn't be allowed to run around and bounce and chase or even go up and down the stairs. She should be in the kennel or in my arms but, seeing as she's too big to carry, my poor little hound has to spend most of the day in the kennel, which I moved from the garage into the living room so she doesn't have to be alone, or in an empty stall in the barn. She bays and whines and cries all day and night because she's so miserable and unhappy so I've started letting her sleep in the bed with my collie and I.

My step-father suggested breaking her other legs, but I can't possibily do that. Has anyone ever been in this situation with their pets? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Pets

• First thing the popped into my mind when I read the title was the movie Misery ROFL
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• WHY in the world would someone suggest breaking the dogs other legs?! NO!

There's not much you can do to make her stay off her feet, so maybe let her lay on the couch next to you, or maybe you could get a cheap wagon, but a blanket in it, and wheel her around instead of carrying her... That's what I did when my elderly dog got to where she couldn't walk...
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Wow
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• No no no no no NO on breaking the other legs!!!!! I have never heard a vet suggest that!

Ask the vet if there is some calming medication (like a mild benadryl) that could be given to her. Don't give it to her unless you talk to the vet as animals can't always take human medications and have weight guidelines on medications. Try alternating between placing slightly cold and mild heating pads on the affected areas to promote white blood cells to those areas and help heal it faster and keeping her warm at night so she can relax and help her get some sleep. Some places sell wheeled braces that let dogs run while their legs heal. Or you can wheel/carry her outside for a bit so she gets some variation in environment. Make sure she regularly sees a vet. The Banfield PetSmart program is well worth it and allows you to pay over the course of year.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Daddy, was just teasing about that. He wouldn't expect me to break her other legs. My little girl has taken to playing doctor and perscribing "Get Better" pills (which look strangely like Skittles). I guess I can try the wagon but Nikki won't stay in it I'm sure.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 2:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yo I really have no clue
    clementhia

Answer by clementhia at 3:28 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• When my youngest dog had splints on his front legs (not broken and long story) he had to stay crated a lot. But I would take him out for short periods so that he would not go stir crazy. AS well as for potty breaks.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We had a puppy with a broken leg before. We had it put in a cast, and the vet never mentioned to keep him off his feet. He ran around and played and got his cast off on time and everything was fine. Sorry that that happened to you guys! Hope you both get well soon!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• poor pup. I know it is hard. I hope he gets better soon.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• WHAT?????????????????????????? Are you insane???????????
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011