Has Anyone Ever had this problem?

So, I was over at my mother's house this afternoon with my two year old daughter and, because of the heat, my mother got out the inflateable pool and filled it with water for Alice and my seven year old half sister to play in. Well, my little girl having fair skin and red hair, I'm constantly slauthering her with sunscreen whenever she's out of the house. I made sure to make her get out of the pool and dry her off and reapply every hour or so. When it got dark and I dried her off and changed her clothes and checked her carefully for any sign of sunburn and was happy to see that her that she had just the slightest tinge of pink on her cheeks.

Well, as we got home I began to feel chilled and my face felt like it was on fire and, when I looked in the mirror, my entire face, arms and chest were tomato red. There were even marks on my shoulders from my mother's lawn chair. I can barely move.

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever tried so hard to protect your children that you failed to protect yourself? I just want to feel like I'm not the only idiot out there.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:38 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• lol
    Very familiar.
    Sorry, sweetie!!
    Get an aloe vera plant!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have so totally done that a number of times. I have 3 little ones to keep up with and DH is pretty bad about it. He's a "ginger" (yea I know not pc but idc) so he burns pretty bad too!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 2:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have some aloe lotion but I really do want to get a plant. I had a severe sunburn once when I was a teenager and my mother's pastor's sister cut open on of hers and it was like the best thing ever. It felt so good.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 2:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's ok. I call myself a ginger too. Alice and I are both red haired, fair skinned, and freckled so normally I'm coating us both in sunscreen whenever where outside, especially when we're in bathing suits but I didn't really think about it and I'm out of the habit, which happens every spring.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 2:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Aloe Vera plant next to your front door is supposed to bring the household wealth. Mexican thing. So it can bring you wealth & sooth your burns. Lol.;-)
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 3:03 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• aloe vera gel(we use Banana Boat Aloe Vera gel) works just as well we have it on hand all the time because we are all fair skinned and when we first get out in the warm weather we all burn.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Of course just means you're a good mom and yea get aloe!
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2011