Is there a completely free tax prep site?

So I did DH's taxes through Turbotax. Fed is free but not state. We file separately because my student loan takes my $. I just need to file. I don't care if its printed and mailed or not. Is there a site that has a guide where you fill it out and print without paying at all?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 3:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Some states, at least my state, Wisconsin, offers free online e-filing directly from the state. Did you check your state taxes web site to see if your state offers that?
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• To file state for free you need to pick up the form at your local library and fill it out by hand and mail it in. As far as i know there are no sites that are free to prepare state.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'm in another state now. So don't think the library would have out of state tax papers
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 4:15 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You can get the forms online. Google it. Or go to the website of the state you need and search for info
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:32 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I use FreeTaxUSA, and like most (all?) others, federal is free to file but state is $9.95, which is still pretty cheap.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 11:23 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Find your state tax site by general state tax search. I am in Illinois and I use Illinois Department of Revenue. Try that
    Corilyn1221

Answer by Corilyn1221 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011