How can i get my four year old to go to sleep on his own

My son will not go to bed on his own. the only way he will go to sleep is if I am in the bed with him. I never get me time I try to get him to sleep and go and relax but when i leave the room he wakes up and starts to cry or wants to stay up with

bestmom826

Asked by bestmom826 at 3:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• u have to play the mean mommy and he will have to work thru it. Start out by going in there fir a few minutes, u can decide hio long and work down fromn there. gl momma
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• yea i am gonna try that. because he is goin to school in sept and he can be tire
    bestmom826

Comment by bestmom826 (original poster) at 3:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• No don't play mean mommy just bath him later than usually and play with him to make him more tired and speak to him tell him is your big boy and he has to look after u one day so
    He has to stop crying and be a brave boy and tell him that u love him at all times and praise him at all time eg if he does a good deed like ( that's good mommies big boy make him feel love
    So when u not around he feels that sens that iam safe mommy is around speak to him the trick is make him tired and let him go to bed hearing your voice far away from him and let him understand big boys go to bed by themselfs
    clementhia

Answer by clementhia at 4:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My son went through a time that he didn't want to sleep alone. There was more to the issue than just him not wanting to be alone but I think what we started with will help you too.
    I told him he was a big boy and started to talk about all the big boy things he has and does. One of his favs was his video games and I used that. Now this was not done in a mean way but in a loving way. That is important to remember. I told him that if he was going to try like a big boy then he could play his big boy games. So basically the deal was he try to go to sleep in his bed like a big boy and the next day he could play his wii or ds. So we now have him going to sleep in his bed. Next he wanted to play computer games in the morning before school. Our new deal is that he sleeps in his bed all night (he wakes and comes to our bed) and if he's up early enough then he can play them. This worked double for us, he's brutal to wake up!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You could try the Supernany technique of saying goodnight and then sitting on the floor with your back to the bed. Every couple of nights you sit further away from the bed until you are at the door. It takes awhile to do the transition but it is worth it. There is NO talking after doing your cuddling goodnight routine. And if the child gets out of bed you calmly put him back in bed as many times as it takes. Again with no talking.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:29 AM on Apr. 11, 2011