WHAT TO DO WITH HIS LIP

MY SON FELL AND BURST HIS GUM AND UNDERNEATH HIS BOTTOM LIP. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

BUBBLES1121

Asked by BUBBLES1121 at 4:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Is it bad enough that he possibly needs stitches? If so, take him to the ER. If you think it's not bad enough for stitches then maybe just try putting some ice to it to keep down the swelling.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 4:25 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Consult a doctor..he is the best one to answer.. don't take any general advice for this one. Don't take risks.
    isa_edwards

Answer by isa_edwards at 4:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• IT RESEMBLES A FINGERNAIL INDENTATION UNDER THE LIP JUST OPEN
    BUBBLES1121

Comment by BUBBLES1121 (original poster) at 4:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Have him suck on ice and apply an ice pack for like 30 minutes off and on. The more you use the ice the faster it will heal and no scar.

ER visits take 3 hours to tell you the same thing I just did, unless of course it is deep and requires stitches but from what you said it doesn't sound like it needs stitches.

Definitely consult the pedi, but if you don't have insurance or visits cost too much - home remedies can suffice. Kids have been having these kinds of accidents for centuries and not everyone takes their kid to the doctor everytime they have an injury. LOL my dad told me his mom set his arm one time with a stick, bandages, and tape. Now that's trying to save money! Of course I'm not advocating home remedies are better than a doctors word and I'm not telling you what you should do just giving you options. You know what's best for your LO. Good luck and God bless.
    LisaNSienna

Answer by LisaNSienna at 7:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• call the doctor
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Havee him rinse his mouth with warm salt water( he may hate the taste). It will stop the blood and begin healing faster.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 8:00 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i would go to the doctor.
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 9:08 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• He is doing great now. The gum having the cut is now allowing his teeth to come out. LOL. His lip is fine. I just hope it doens't scar. Thank you all. I did place an ice pack on it and ironically he fell asleep and when I moved it and put it down he woke up and cried for it. I guess it was soothing. He then also wanted to suck on it so that helped to stopm the bleeding in the mouth.
    BUBBLES1121

Comment by BUBBLES1121 (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2011