Why can't we face the truth? Having an autistic child wrecks your life ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1116602/Why-face-truth-Having-autistic-child-wrecks-life-.html

catsnotkids 
The Crazy Cat Lady

Posts: 6,012
Joined: Apr 2008 

RE: Columnist: Having an autistic child ruins your life

The sad thing is that some parents of kids with autism are arguing against women having the right to abort if they know their kid will have a disability. They say it will damage "autistic culture" or some bullshit garbage like that.

I can't imagine wanting to consign someone else to a life of caring for a kid like the one in the article. Seriously - if it was me, I'd institutionalize the kid, kill myself or kill the kid. I could NEVER, EVER live like that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you're 40 when on Friday night you're at the hardware store buying weed killer instead of out trying to score some killer weed... 

Should we screen unborn babies for autism?

• Yes 67%
  • No 33%

Thank you for voting

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1116602/Why-face-truth-Having-autistic-child-wrecks-life-.html#ixzz1JCoRUCbe

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Health

• how dare anyone who do this child ,i love my nephews very much so they are slower then most but to abort a child any child murder
    in my book ,this blessing from god i am so lucky that they are greatess gift ,i am glad they i am their aunt ,
    they bring so much joy in my life and my family
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 5:59 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's funny how this article was not written by a parent of an autistic child, but a friend of the family. Actually, I wouldn't consider this woman a friend, more like a miserable excuse for a life.
    Yes, my son makes my life a bit more challenging, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. He has not only touched my life, but also the individuals who have helped educate him. He sees things that others do not see.
    I also wonder what this world would be like without those on the spectrum that have contributed greatly to our society. While it is impossible to know for sure, but many experts look back and seriously consider that Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison were most likely on the spectrum. What would the classical music world be without Mozart and Strauss, who most likely were also on the spectrum.
    Not to mention the living autistic people who have made significant contributions to society.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I downvote this.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:05 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My story is not one of an autistic child but ... my DD was extremely premature and it was not sure if she would make it. Docs insisted that if she pulled through, she'd basically be a vegetable. I remember a friend of mine telling me that if it were her, she couldn't do it. Keep in mind that she (says she) is very religious and that she would deal with whatever hand God dealt her except in a case like mine. I think she's one of those folks who uses religion when it suits her. DD turned out perfectly fine but at the time, we couldn't have known that. I remember thinking that I was this child's only chance and to abandon her would have been the worst thing I could have done.

I don't think having a special needs child ruins your life; it simply takes you on a different, often BETTER, path. One of knowledge and caring and compassion and joy. Having the mentality that "it wrecks your life" is detrimental to everyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Well I doubt I would know how to parent a normal child because to me autism is normal.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:05 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I dont think that a child should be aborted due to autism. I am against abortion in MOST cases.

I belive that the child should be institutionalized where he can get the help he needs 24 hours a day. Once he maintains a good level of control over the course of a maybe a month....then he can go back home and then counselling/therapy.
    When a child is institutionalized for something like uncontrollable mental defects....they teach the parents how to establish a home and a new life for the child that will work for them. It would be easier for everyone involved.

I cant imagine having an Autistic Child....or any child with mental disabilities. It would kill me. I would do my best to hold strong and be what I need to be...to make it work. My heart goes out to those parents.

~ M
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 8:08 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would not be able to live like that and if I knew I was carrying an autistic child, I would terminate.  

The bleeding hearts can down vote me all they want but consider this, what will happen to this child when his parents are dead? 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My son is 17 and autistic and this article is written by someone who is selfish, inconsiderate and unable to understand the love a parent has for their child. My mom used to tell me my son was crazy and a psycho, she is a selfish woman though. I love my son, and in no way did he or his brother (Bipolar) ruin my life. How would they? They didnt ask to be born, and they didnt go from "normal" to Autistic or Bipolar over night. I lived with them since birth and you adjust. I think the person writing this article should be reincarnated as an Autistic child.

Answer by gemgem at 9:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If i were pregnant & knew my child was autistic, i would probably abort. Down vote me all you want, but at least i am honest. I don't have the right personality to deal with a mentally challenged person & neither does my husband. BUT, we're done having kids so no worries there....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Thumbs up beeky for not going anon, i never go anon but didn't want people judging me for my answer...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2011