Why is she screetching??

My 10 mo old DD has started screetching this extremely high pitched seagull screetch ALL. THE. TIME. I understand that she is learning to talk and learning how to get attention & all that, but good Lord! You'd think that it would give her a headache too!
My first 2 did not make ANY screetching or squealing noises like this. I can't handle it! It's so embarrassing when we go out too! (I had to leave a restaraunt tonight because she was doing that & the other patrons were getting angry & giving us dirty looks)
I really have no idea how to handle it when she does it!
Any advice would be great please!!!

shareleann

Asked by shareleann at 5:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she does it because you let her ,this is the only way she can talk
    bring some toys next time she goes out with the family
    start saying in side voices she will catch on in time mom
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:04 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• She does it when she has toys, food, drinks, when she is happy or upset. She just started doing it about 1-2 weeks ago. She loves to hear her voice echo & I understand that, but I honestly can't handle it. And, no, I don't just "let her", I honestly try EVERYTHING to get her to stop.
    shareleann

Comment by shareleann (original poster) at 6:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My friends dd was a screecher and tured out she needed tubes in her ears and now that she has them she's hearing this like we hear them. Before things sounded like they were under water so she couldn't necessairly hear how loud things were.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• They will do it until they get bored of it. Just try not to give it any attention. If she sees mommy frantically dancing around doing a lot of different things to get her to stop, she may find it funny and continue. Remember as all things are with kids, it is a phase and it will pass. I suggest going to family friendly restaurants or holding off all together until she has passed this phase so you don't feel embarassed or forced to give it attention. She's doing it to practice her vocals, not to be mean and it shouldn't be treated like that. Give lots of attention when she is playing without screetching, and it will pass.
    caitlingreetis

Answer by caitlingreetis at 8:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Agree 100% with caitlingreetis. The baby is discovering her voice and experimenting. The longer you react to it the longer she will do it. Personally, I would get a pair of earplugs for myself. They do not block out all noise but enough so you can get through this phase and you can still hear what you really need to hear. We had to stop going to restaurants and such for awhile when our youngest had some behavior problems. It was temporary and we did a lot of take out in order to get through that period.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2011