Do you have to walk at a fast pace to loose weight?

My DH & i was at a park walking when another lady came up on the walking track behind us. Me & my DH were walking at a fast pace.
And the back of my calves were hurting from the pounding on the cement, so i stopped to rub my legs & told DH this was killing my calves. So we paused rested a moment and went back to walking.
After another lap, we decided to stop. The lady stopped to talk to us, she was a nurse and she said she was married to a doctor. The lady told us she noticed me complaining about my calves hurting, and told us were walking too fast, and were trying to hard. I weight 218 lbs, so that's alot of weight on my legs too to be pounding on the pavement that hard.
I told the lady that i always heard that you had to walk at a pace of 1 mile in 15 mins. for it to do any good, which is close to 3.5 or 4 mph.
The lady said you don't have to walk that fast. She said you just need to just walk at a normal pace nonstop for 30 minutes, and that's good enough.
My guess is that she is talking about just walking for health, which is good for older folks, but i want to burn calories and walk a little faster. This lady said she is 56 yrs. old, i am 48.
But thing is, i used to exercise regular every day & quit and i have not exercised much in a long time, so this is hard on me.
My thing is, i am out of shape & i am over doing it on the exercise and trying to pick up where i left off, but its hard on me.
Should i take it easy til i get used to exercising again?
Would it be in my best interest to walk slower til i get used to walking everyday & then pick up my pace?
Do you have to walk at a faster pace to get full benefits of walking to loose weight?

Honda309

Asked by Honda309 at 6:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• u do not have to walk fast at all it all about distance u do it a little at a time build yourself up if u go half a mile until u know your ready to push a little further then u keep at it
    again no u dont have to walk fast

good luck and have fun
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 6:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You can build up to it, but I think YES, in general, you need to get the heart pumping to get your body into calorie burning mode and see real results. Easy walking is certainly better than nothing, but you'll need to work up to a quick pace and sustain it for 30-45 minutes to really start working the body.
    People have to understand that if they aren't pushing their bodies to the point where they're out of their comfort zones, then they aren't increasing their levels of fitness at all, and they will stagnate where they are physically.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Just walking will be good for you. Sometimes when you feel a little easier in your energy and body level...you can brisk walk for a couple minutes and then go back to a regular walk.
    For you...I would recommend swiming. Its easier on your body ....more relaxing....and fun ! :)

Good luck !
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 8:03 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• anyn way to get your heart pumping is good, you need to burn those calories and thats only going to happen if the heart pumps but it is good to do something fast and then slow down like jogging and then walking, jogging again and walking.

i think if you were to walk at your normal speed, things just stay the same
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:03 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Walking in general is good for weightloss, you definately don't have to work so hard at it. It would be better to walk slower and just walk a longer distance. If you feel you aren't getting enough of a workout, put ankle weights on, but you still don't have to go at a higher pace. Make sure you are stretching your calves good before and after you walk. Hope that helps.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 8:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• The faster you walk the more calories you burn up. Just stretch well before you take off. Remember you only burn up 100 calories walking and it takes an hour of walking to do even that! Don't depend on a cardio activity alone to lose weight.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Just moving is going to burn calories- heck me typing this is burning some kind of calories. But it won't burn as many as going faster would. So yes you could walk 3 MPH but it would take you a little bit longer to burn all the calories you want to. If you can't keep at a 4MPH pace- then slow down. No walking at 3MPH won't burn as many calories in a short amount of time- but if it lets you keep at it for a longer period of time- then it could be worth it.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:16 PM on May. 4, 2011