How can I get my boys to eat more variety of foods?

They only like certain things and refuse to eat some things that I put in front of them. We have tried making them sit at the table till they eat some of the food but it doesn't work.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Just offer a healthy variety of foods and if they eat, fine. If not they will at another time. If you take all the pressure off everyone will be happier. One of the biggest regrets we have is making food a battle with our youngest. It was very stressful and ruined many mealtimes. Now he eats everything!! GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:08 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would take my kids shopping with me and ask them to pick a fruit and a vegetable to try. I would not buy the food that they eat too much of. They will eat when they are hungry enough. For breakfast my kids eat a fruit OR cold non sugared cereal OR instant oatmeal OR toast.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:17 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• That won't work. As they mature they will try more foods. You can't force it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I insist they take two bites of any new food. Its surprising that eventually they will start eating it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I read, although I haven't tested this theory myself, that if you give the foods crazy names like "super peas" or "Kicking Cabbage" that kids are more likely to eat them... I imagine this works better the younger your kids are, I'm not sure how old your kids are.

My husband was a picky eater when we met, but I've slowly introduced him to new foods and he's no where near as picky anymore. I cut some things up really small when I first introduce them. I also heard of (but haven't tried) recipes where you can hide some foods in some others like squash in your spaghetti, there's probably some recipes out there on the internet on how to do that.
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Keep on offering things again and again. Sometimes it takes a lot of offers.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2011