Why are public assistance benefits SO hard to receive?

i just dont get it? i always see on here how much people abuse the system by getting benefits and selling their foodstamps or what not. i dont understand how this happens when honest people have such a hard time getting them!

my husband was recently laid off at the end of March. we're getting something like 240/week and we're a family of 5. he wasn't making much at his job but it was enough to get us by. well i've been trying to get foodstamps since before he was unemployed, because back then we had an income of 1700/month with more costly rent and truck payments. they denied us then because we "made too much" but we were given Medicaid for the kids when my middle daughter was in an out of the hospital with asthma.

so now that our situation has changed, our rent is much cheaper and we used our tax refund to pay off the truck, so our bills have downsized as well. however 960/month for a family of 5 is still not going to cut it, we really need those foodstamps to survive! they've asked for documents that they ALREADY have. like last 4 weeks of gross income, so his old employer mailed them to us, and then i mailed them to them. it's such a pain in the ass. i had to go through all this to get on Medicaid, shit hasn't changed in my situation! except for he no longer receives that income, so why do you need proof of it? then it says i'm pended for interview, and i have to get in touch with someone by TODAY. i've been trying everyday and each time i get a "all agents are busy, please try your call again later" ITS SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!! because if i don't do the interview we will get denied and then i'll have to re-apply AGAIN. causing further delay in the benefits my family needs. my husband is out there looking for work daily so we are by no means trying to abuse the system.

can anyone else relate to this or am i like the only moron who can't seem to get it right with these people?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Definitely not a moron. I completely understand your frustration. We were in the same situation sort of:My husband became disabled, he was a self employed contractor and as soon as he quit working he no longer had an income. Down to the DHHS I go but was denied food stamps because I made too much money. We are a family of 4. I was enraged, started an aggressive email campaign with the DHHS's top people in this state. They looked at my case again and then awarded us...wait for it....here it is ....$24.00 a month in food stamps...really $24.00. Good Luck to you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If your husband got laid off in March they will want proof of you new income or they will go by what he used to make. As for not being able to get anyone on the phone, just go there if you need to talk to someone today. You may have to also provide proof that your hubby was laid off. I would never mail anything into them, take it in personally, have them make copies, and ask for a receipt to prove you brought in the documentation. I have been in a situation where my documentation got "lost" and they tried cutting off our medicaid/ family health because they said I didn't bring it in. My daughter was going through Chemo for the second time and I am glad I had the proof that I had already brought it in.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 8:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You are not a Moron,I've been there.I would go on down there to the office and wouldn't leave until I was seen and the situation was resolved.sometimes you have to be aggressive to get what you need for your family.good luck!
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would imagine it's the economic mess the govt is in. People already on it get benefits but even those are being cut. Maybe they are making the eligibility requirements tougher for new applicants.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:28 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's so hard BECAUSE so many people abuse the system. If only people who actually needed it applied, then it wouldn't be such a hassle.

I agree that you should go into the office and wait to speak with someone. There may be issues with the phones. Make sure to bring all the required paperwork with you to the appointment, and be sure to keep copies at home in case they need the originals (so you have them on hand).
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 8:32 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• To get on assistance you should have to prove your income if you didn't have to many would try to get on. You need help and now will have to jump through the hoops necessary to get that help. Life isn't easy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Go down to the office, that is the only thing you can do
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Apr. 11, 2011