Should I be mad?

My six year old daughter went to a birthday party for a friend she casually knows from school. At the party, the dad took seven kids, with life jackets on, out in a canoe across a lake. My daughter can't swim and I just think this was very irresponsible out of the parents. Canoe's tip very easily and I don't think one dad would be able to rescue seven panicked kids. I don't want to create a big fuss - but I will let her know next time, if I ever leave my daughter there again. What do you guys think? Should the parents at least mentioned it in the invitation?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 8:28 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The parent's should have absolutely told you there were going to be water activities and asked if your child knew how to swim. I would say something.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Absolutely you should have been aware ot it. I wouldn't say anything to the parents this time, I would just double check with each invitation from now on. Wouldn't hurt I guess to know exactly what the party entailed. Thanks for this question I will be always double checking from now on. Glad no one was hurt and the party went well.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I agree with AmandaH321. They should have let you know. I would be upset as well- anything could have happened! I'm glad your DD is ok!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It should have absolutely been discussed with each parent beforehand. I don't think I would mention it now, but it I would definitely say something next time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• They absolutely should have had permission to take the kids on a lake! I think if it were me, I would let the parents know that I dont want my child doing anything like that without them talking to me first! I dont know, but I would not have been too happy about that myself! Good luck
    momto4lilangels

Answer by momto4lilangels at 8:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• it definitely should have been mentioned in the invitation and you have every right to be upset.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My daughter said that one of the girls didn't want to go but then saw all the other kids go to the boat and changed her mind. She said the boat was rocking a lot - its not like it was a pontoon boat or something - and its not like they just stayed on the edge - they went clear through the middle. When I was little, two kids drowned after crashing through the ice and one man died after running off the side of the bank (at night, rumor was he was drunk). There is much fear and sadness associated with this lake. Oh, I had a sleepless night with the "what if's..." :(
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 8:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• They should have made you aware as others have said. IMO, I would say something, but just try to be calm.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would absolutly be upset!I would confront the parent in a polite manner because that could truelly have been a dangerous situation.
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would have been upset for sure, but wouldn't let my kid go over there anymore,, 7 kids in a canoe? I would let it go, and just never let my kid visit them anymore, if she is invited again, decline and tell them why!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2011