How do you handle a 9 year girl who lies about almost everything & sometime steals?

Lisa is almost 9 yrs old. Her brother, Michael, is10 and tends to be a bit bossey and always squeals on her every move. Lisa is trying to find her nitch, but doesn't know how, so she lies and sometimes steals... small coins, my makeup, and on 3 occasions, 3 - Nintendo DSs. Her brother has one (gift), but she does not. Help me. We seem to be at battle about these two issues.

Chiqui52

Asked by Chiqui52 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• There's a lack somewhere in her emotional stability and she's trying to fill the void. She probably feels rejected at some level. If you can locate that need and take care of it, you will probably have the problem solved. In the meantime, lying and stealing have to be punished. No matter what the reason for them might be, they are wrong and they have to be dealt with.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:03 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would call the police & have them come talk to her about steeling....

One time when i was little (about 6) i stole a pack of gum from the store. My mother found out on our walk home. WELL, there was a police station along the way. She dragged me in there screaming & crying & told them that i stole a pack of gum. A police officer sat me down & had a LONG talk with me....you can betcha that was the last time i ever stole anything....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• A child who does this is often looking for attention. Make sure she has quality one on one time with you and your SO plus praise when she does things right. (The brother needs this time too) Talk to her about always being truthful and coming to you with her needs and problems. If this gets worse you might talk to a school counselor for helpful ideas and also browse a good bookstore for help in some child development books. Below are a couple of links that might be helpful. There are tons if you google "children stealing". I wish you and her all the best
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• * STEALING
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:54 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It sounds like you're making excuses for her. That may be part of the problem.
    soccer.mom

Answer by soccer.mom at 12:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2011