Does it bother anyone else...

Does it bother anyone else that church groups seem to flock to areas where there is devistation for one reason or another and prey upon the weak and vulnerable under the guise of helping get the country and people back on their feet?

Can't they go just to help? Why do they need to build churches, preach and take advantage of people who are feeling hopeless and angry because of their circumstances?

During my time as a believer, I saw it happen in our church over and over again. They just couldn't wait to get a group of zealots together and send them off to places like Haiti and Africa. They talked proudly about how they were going to 'do God's work' and teach the people about Jesus while feeding them, clothing them and building for them.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Giving starving people in Africa bibles when they have never heard of Christianity before, telling them its all true, then leaving them to actually ACT OUT The "laws" in the bible (like labeling their children witches and beating them to death...or stoning gays just for being gay)? Yeah, that really bothers me. Leave the damn bibles out and just feed them if you want to be charitable!!! Don't screw up their culture. We've done enough bad over there by forcing western culture on them. That's the only reason they're starving. When they could live off the land, they were fine, now that they need money to survive, look what's happened.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think the point she is trying to make is why can't they just go help for the sake of helping and leave religion out of it. You know, be the kind of Christians that bring people to Christ by the way they live their lives, not by what comes out of their mouths.

To answer the question ... If I spent much time thinking about it, ANY religion that does that would bother me, not just Christianity. I think people should help other people for the simple reason that we are on this planet together, not because some man-made religious tenet tells us to.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• "So, then maybe the Atheists are doing the same and trying to get people to believe as they do."

Um, no. Atheists have no doctrine saying we're supposed to "spread the word". We have no reason to. In fact most atheists are so sick of being prosthetized TO that they would never do it to anyone else. Who would we be trying to save anyway? Everyone dies. I know of atheists who will actually go work at a church charity and just never mention that they're atheists...because they want to help out, but the only organized charity available is religious.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If Christians didn't go, people would be like,,"Christians are so selfish. You can never depend on them to give anybody a helping hand. All they care about are the people within the four walls of their church." When they do go, then it's like.."Christians are always trying to shove their religion down everybody else's throat. Why can't they just leave people alone?" So yeah, like dullscissiors said--damned if we do and damned if we don't. Did you ever stop and think that people might actually want to hear about the Lord?

popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Um, no. Atheists have no doctrine saying we're supposed to "spread the word". We have no reason to.

That is interesting- because several (maybe more) Atheists on this board have stated that it is indeed their mission to let people know how dangerous religion (any religion) is-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Why would something like this bother me? there is no harm in a little hope is there? they go there to help regardless.

Answer by older at 8:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• "Why do they need to build churches, preach and take advantage of people who are feeling hopeless and angry because of their circumstances?"

Because they believe in the power of prayer & worship. They believe it helps....

I don't think they are taking advantage. Even though i am not christian & don't really believe in the same things Christians do...i really DO think that they believe their prayers & building of churches are making a positive effect for these people. I think what they are doing is completely selfless, and i think it all comes from a very loving place.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• No harm in helping people in need.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Nope, doesn't bother me at all.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's good that they help in some ways, but I always had a problem with proselytizing when I was still a Christian. Years of archaeological study made me even more frustrated with it, because I felt like they destroyed many cultures that forcing beliefs on others. Helping people is good. Helping people with the condition that they must follow your beliefs or practices--not so good IMHO. I'm sure it varies how different churches and organizations handle this kind of thing though. It seems like some are 'pushier' than others. But, generally I agree and I question whether it's still really helpful or self-less if they have an agenda going into it. Not all Christians believe in proselytizing, because I've met a few that specifically said they don't like to push their beliefs on others (in fact another mom in my mom's group just said this the other day), but some believe they must spread the word in order to help others.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2011