How do I get my 3 year old and 2 year old to listen better??

Both of my children run wild. They don't want to listen. I tell them not to do something and they do it anyways or do not stop doing what I am telling them not to do. I lose my patience all the time. I know they are just toddlers and they are suppose to be a little crazy but it's ALL THE TIME. It never stops. Please help

babies_0506

Asked by babies_0506 at 8:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• HAHAHAHA! When you find something that works PLEASE let me know!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I think you need to start disciplining them when they are bad. I would start with time outs. Usually it is 1 minute for every year of age, so the 2 year old would get 2 minutes. I would also say something like "I have you asked you to stop that and if you do not then you are going into time out" If they continue then they go into time out. After their time out talk to them about why they were in time out.

You have to be consistent and never make ideal threats. If they think you are not serious then they are going to walk all over you.

The other thing you could try is positive reinforcement. Instead of always getting in trouble for bad behavior maybe they could get something special for good behavior. We did this at my house and it worked very well.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• time out works! you just have to do it right! the above poster ddiscribed the correct method for time out so i won't go into it, maybe suggests getting a time out mat or a special corner. pick a spot and keep it, it is important that you are consistant with were the spot is. also you might try goodie jars. i used baby food jars, they are perfect size. clean the jars and let the children decorate their own. keep them in a place the kids can see but not get to. each day put a certain number of treats in
    maddismom247

Answer by maddismom247 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• ( i started with five, i just went and got a bag of some misc. cand y and little plastic trinkets, really cheap.) every time they do something you have asked not to, take something out of there jar. everytime they do something good, put something in their jar. get the concept? it is simple and from my experiance as a preschool teacher it really does work. also try to whisper more, the kids have to be quite to hear you and they just think it's fun.
    maddismom247

• yea me 2. i actually almost posted this. let me know if u find something out.
    lil_ferfer

Answer by lil_ferfer at 2:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Your time and being consistant. My husband and I have learned it the hard way. If you see them doing something tell them not to, then, if they continue, make the punishment swift. It takes time of constantly being immediate but it works and helps the kids follow rules. For example, My younger son drew on something that wasn't paper. I told him not to. He did it not 5 minutes later and that was it, no drawing material of any kind for a week. It all went up in the cupboard. It sucks when you strike a nreve and take something away that makes them cry but they have to learn. Better learning now than when they are shipped off into the world.
    Also, your time. When you can, spend 5-10 minutes with each child by themselves. Talking, coloring, helping you with dinner..what THEY want. Look at them while they are talking to you sometimes, give them the respect you want. It helps asnd the smallest effort works.
    stillgotit2

Answer by stillgotit2 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• well i tried doing the time out thing but my husband thinks my son shouldn't get time out every 5 min's,not only do i get upset he doesn't back me up but the baby notices it and begins crying to be left of time out so,he doesn't listen,he misbehaves because he knows his dad takes his side,but i never ever see him misbehaving when hes alone with me.he already knows the drill.and i wish my husband could see that it does truly work,of course rewards for good behavior are extreamly important.my son is 3,but hes known since early on how to put his dad and and i against eachother on things so please be supportive.i promise it works.
    tzingillusion21

Answer by tzingillusion21 at 1:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• We do positive reinforcement. My son is nearly two but when he does soemthing right we throw a mini party for him. It's so cute. He loves doing what I ask him because I almost always clap for him and say, "Yay!".
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i have two children that drive me crazy too. they dont listen, they dont do as they're told. i feel like i cant take them anywhere because of their behavior. not to mention im currently a stay at home mom, their dad comes home at night and plays video game or watches tv. he wont talk to me, or hlep me. the only way he pays attention to the kids is to holler at them or spank them. i feel like the worst parent. im depressed.
    jo-42

Answer by jo-42 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• DON'T EVER FEEL LIKE BAD PARENTS...we are INEXPERIENCED parents!!!
    with each birth of a child comes new challenges!! It's okay to be totally taken back by something your children are doing. I know I am. Even my oldest...as she gets older she is bringing new challenges- It comes with growing up...just remember as we are frustrated trying to find things that "work" so too are our children trying to learn how to be children...it's not easy for the both of you. We are bound to make mistakes...and its like I tell my girls...when I make a mistake that means I am human just as they are human when they make mistakes...our biggest duty is to learn something from the mistakes that we make..that is how we learn and grow.
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 1:09 AM on Jan. 6, 2009