Why do people think it's a good idea to shave their dog?

not like Shih tzus poodles... I'm talking natural coated dogs. Labs, Huskies, Pomerainians, GSDs, etc. They are called "NATURAL COATED DOGS" for a reason. Cuz you wash them, brush them, and then leave their fur alone. Don't shave it. It will not make them stop shedding, unless you shave them bald, and even then it's only temporary. Their hair grows back thicker and will never look the same again. You're taking away their natural sunscreen. They're more prone to sunburn, heat sicknesses etc... I don't get it. If you've shaved our natural coated dog, please try to give me some logic on WHY you thought is was a good idea. Cuz I'm seriously going to scream at the next person who calls or walks into my grooming shop wanting something retarted like that.

lilghstygrl

Asked by lilghstygrl at 9:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Pets

• I wasn't aware people actually shaved those kinds of dogs. Wow, weird. It would annoy me too!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My grandma has two longhaired dauchsuns, she lives in AZ. The only reason they get shaved in the summer because of the heat. I agree though that is weird to see those other types of dogs shaved.

heatherakamom

Answer by heatherakamom at 9:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My granny has shaved her two Poms (not to the skin, but to make the hair shorter). She has done this in the summer for the heat, but also more often now that they are older, i.e. like an older adult, they get sick more often, and it is hard to get their coats clean. (One is 18, the other 16) Like I said, she leaves about 1 1/2 inches of fur - she doesn't completely shave them!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My dad had his Golden retriever shaved because the matts in her fur were soo bad that you couldnt just nip them out out. They had her shaved down to about 3/4 of an inch long hair and the dog was actually embarrassed about the way she looked I swear! But that is the only reason I can think of to shave a natural coated dog. My Mother also used to shave her Yorke's down in the summer and they looked like schnauzers. They looked cute but I didnt think it was necessary
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• usually its easier to mantain if there is no hair. its easier to wash and dry. im a groomer and i do it to my family's dogs. but it all depends on wat people really like.
    bornangel

Answer by bornangel at 2:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• We have a 13 year old golden retriever, Levi. He was shaved for the first time this summer. As soon as I went to get him, both my hubby and I could tell that he was happier. He was more energetic, more playful, everything. We shaved him because he had really thick hair, and as soon as we would wash him he was still really stinky. We didn't shave him to stop the shedding...we shaved him to make him more comfortable, and we truely believe that he is.
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 1:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I had a 55 lb Chow Chow. We started shaving him because of the heat. He was always hot and he shed all the time. Not to mention try giving him a bath and getting him clean all the way down to the roots. Its close to impossible.
    melissap37

Answer by melissap37 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• As a groomer you should know that if your dog gets mats you cannot brush them out, your dog could get blood clots. That is why I shave my pomeranian. That and I live in Arizona, it's very hot here and my dog is a heck of a lot happier when he's shaved. But why is this such an issue for you? They're not your dogs.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• i worked at a vet, and i hated seeing dogs come in like this. i grew up with huskies and learned a lot about them and their history and care. it drove me nuts to see other huskies shaved into a lion cut. people don't realize that dogs acclimate to weather changes. when you cut their fur, it's like taking away their protection from the elements. i hear your frustration- it gets under my skin too!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• i have a beautiful husky. i live in VA
    Armymom2412

Answer by Armymom2412 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2008