I need some help. I have a friend who says one of her friends took 6 home pregnancy tests and they all came out negative and yet she was pregnant. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?

I got off birth control back in July and the first two months were perfectly normal but now I have not had a period in 8 weeks. I've taken 2 at home tests (which came out negative) and have been thinking about having a blood test done. I don't have a lot of symptoms but I do have a few...but they could be attributed to other things possibly...or at least be psychological. I need to know what everyone thinks...please help!

tarany

Asked by tarany at 8:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• I say go get the blood test...it doesnt hurt to be 100% positive!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• yes, i have a friend who took several tests and they all came out negative. she "knew" she was prego so she just kept taking them until one finally said postive. ya might want to do a blood test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• It happened to me once. It turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. The hormone levels in your urine is what determines that outcome of the test, in an ectopic pregnancy the hormone levels are not very high and can lead to a negative test. I went to the doctor for mine and they got a positive from a blood test but still didnt determine is was an ectopic. I ended up with pain in the middle of the night and in the ER. I was told I would not have needed surgery to correct it if it had been caught early on because they have medication to help without surgery. I would call your doctor if you are at all questioning a pregnancy that isnt showing up to be on the safe side.

Answer by gemgem at 9:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• my sister took like 3 and she was pregnant
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i got preg in July and in August I took like 2 test and they said neg. then i took another it said pos. then at work one day i took another and it was Neg. so i went and got my blood work done and there i was Preg. and then in sept I had a m iscarraige. So best of luck to u....get ur bld work done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• It can come up negative if you are testing too soon, but since it has been eight weeks since your last period I would say you're testing at the right time. The ectopic pregnancy makes sense, so go get checked right away... Good luck!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I took 8 tests that said negative when I was pregnant for my daughter, everybody is built different and it can take some people longer for the hormones to react, I finally went to the doctor when I was 9 weeks late and again took a urine test that finally came out positive...so yes it can happen.
    sammiemommy

Answer by sammiemommy at 1:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008