Potty Training!

I need some tips! (I have a boy if that matters)

xmama_bellax

Asked by xmama_bellax at 9:08 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My nephews learned to use the potty by their mother putting cherios or footloops in the toliet. The boys enjoyed using them as a target and she has twin boys!(Double the trouble!)
    ceci85

Answer by ceci85 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have been letting mine run around bottomless with his potty chair in plain view. Every half hour I would just remind him that it was there and if he needed to go he should go there. Don't get upset if there are accidents b/c there will be, and he may not get it in one day. Also poop freaks some kids out they think it is a part of them so they tend to get worried to let it go. I also have a potty ring that goes on the regular toilet just in case we need it. Have fund with it and make a big deal even if he gets a tiny amount in the potty. to get mine used to going to the bathroom or to sit on it I did 'potty practice' this is when every 15 min I would tell him we had to go practice and I would take him to the toilet and have him sit there. Of course he wouldn't sit long, but that didn't matter. Now, if he was getting up set for having to leave his show I told him he had to practice on his chair. Your going to need to
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• grrr....Clear your schedule b/c when they say to watch them the mean it. You can't take your eyes off them for a second. I recommend you make your meals the night before or stock up on luchables this way you can just run in the kitchen to grab them and get back, hopefully before he has an accident. If he goes in another room to play go with him and take his chair and just say 'okay there is your chair remember if you have to pee or poop it's right here.' keep lots of wipes and paper towels handy for clean up and lysol for disinfecting the potty seat. Oh and for him to get more involved you can have him help you dump the seat and clean up. good luck :)
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have a 3 yr old & it's been difficult potty training him because has a speech delay. He understands both english & spanish when we speak to him & will respond in his own way but I find it to be more difficult to teach him because he may not fully understand what I'm trying to explain. When he is in need of a diaper change he will bring me a pull-up & let me know he's pee pee or #2 .. What Iry to do is take him to the potty as soon as he wakes in the morning up to do pee pee & start getting him used to it that way but some mornings he will pee before he wakes up but i still take him so he can get the hang of it. They say boys take longer than girls but with some training they will learn & start going (hopefully sooner than later) ... Best of luck!
    HappinessIsKey

Answer by HappinessIsKey at 10:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I typically wait until I really think they are ready. (Meaning they can tell me they have to go, can pull up and down their pants, and have some desire to use the potty.) I know some have a set age that they work on it, but you'll have to work twice as hard if they aren't ready. So, I choose to wait. My oldest son potty trained right before his third birthday (which is still pretty young for a boy) and my daughter potty trained just before her fourth birthday. Start with daytime, don't worry about the night yet. Skip pull ups, just go straight to underwear. (The pull-ups seem to translate to another diaper in their little minds.) Get to know his routine before you start, it'll be easier on you when you know he always pees about 15 minutes after drinking a sippy cup or always poops after breakfast. You can introduce the potty long before you start actually training him. Let him get comfortable with the concept first. And relax.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• There are some great potty training tips @ http://www.toddlerbedandmore.blogspot.com
    toddler101

Answer by toddler101 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2011