9 month old getting up at night, PLEASE HELP!

I have a 9 month old that has been "all of a sudden" been getting up in the middle of the night. It is usually ishat the same time every night..either around 11ish or at like 2 or 3. I am pretty sure he is teething but our Dr also mentioned around this time his sleeping patterns were going to change. what are we supposed to do when he gets up?? I, of course just cannot let him cry so I comfort him, & usually end up feeding him. I know feeding him is probably a really bad habit, but like i said before, I just cannot let him cry. Does anyone have any advise? Could he maybe not be getting enough formula during the day? Please help! This is just driving me & my husband nuts :(

LDA33

Asked by LDA33 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just go in and lay him back down, rub his back and stuff.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would stop feeding him. If you think he is teething, either give him some Tylenol or some teething drops and put him right back to bed. I also don't think it has anything to do with how much he is eating during the day. Also, he may be getting too warm or too cool, and that is what is waking him up, so you might want to adjust what he is sleeping in or the temperature in his room.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Sounds a bit like a growth spurt. If he wakes up crying, try feeding him. If it is a growth spurt, they normally only last about a week or so. He also maybe learning a new motor skill which wakes them up at night too. They wake up to "practice". It should pass shortly.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would suggest that you try putting a little baby cereal in his last bottle before bed. Not only will his sleep patterns change at this age but also his eating habits. He might not be getting enough food to last him through the night. This is the age he should start eating babyfood anyways so I dont think the cereal will do any harm.:-)
    ceci85

Answer by ceci85 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have 9 month old twins and we are going through the same thing. I think the problem is Teething in our case. We don't feed pat 10pm or before 5am (our preference). We just comfort them back to sleep and put them back to bed. Sometimes a little Tylenol if they are especially wakeful.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:29 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Do precisely what you already ARE... feeding is fine. Welcome to the nine month growth spurt. You've already been doing exactly the right thing. KEEP DOING IT!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• keep doing what you are doing and sleep when he sleeps if you can and this will get better
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2011