Should I be concerned?

My 7 month old is congested, has a runny nose, and is starting to cough. Yesterday what I suctioned out of her nose of clear and today its green. She sounds a little more congested today that what she was yesterday. She is running a slight temp (99.5 or so) but usually her temp is always right around there because of teething. The past couple of days it has been 100.2-100.4 but tylenol always helps bring it down. Whenever she has been sick before she stays pretty happy and will play and talk. I always have a hard time telling if I need to take her to see the doctor or not.

kvanness0824

Asked by kvanness0824 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She just has a cold keep her nose clear, and if you have a humidifier/vaporizor turn it on. IMO she doesn't need to go a cold last 5-7 days and it will go away on it's own. Also as long as she is still drinking fluids there is no need to worry. I know it sucks and is scary but she'll be fine.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My DD2 got a cold like that when she was about that age. I took her to the Drs and all he did was make sure that she was getting enough oxygen into her and that there was no infection.
    Call your doctor and tell them that she has a cold and ask what you should do. The doctor might want to see her, some doctors want to see the infants when they have a cold, or he might just tell you to keep up with the tylenol and the siphoning and use a humidifier.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:38 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Should I worry about her getting an ear infection. So far everytime she gets sick, she ends up with an ear infection.
    kvanness0824

Comment by kvanness0824 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Use your gut instinct.

If it were my child, I wouldn't take her in. mucous color is not an good indicator of illness. The fever is being kept down by tylenol. As for the congestion, steamy bathrooms, vicks on the feet, and a vaporizer at night. Also, putting a blanket rolled up under the mattress will keep them from laying flat...it will help at night or naptime.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think it would be best to take her in just in case. Its just to verify if the baby does not also have an ear infection as well. And usually babies are so uncomfortable when they have a cold. Also turn the humdifer to help soothe
    the babies breathing.
    2lilmamas

Answer by 2lilmamas at 10:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have an 8 month old caught iv had to deal with this a lot with her. If its green u should call her doctor and tell them it may have been a cold and turned to something else. U can also go to webmd.com that's a really good web site. Hope she gets better. My lil one woke up with a temp of 103.7 one morin at 2:30 scared the heck out of me I called911.
    lwalter87

Answer by lwalter87 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Are you nursing her? If so, put a few drops in her nose and ears. It is an antibacterial and will help clear away everything with no side effects.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:19 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No I don't nurse. The snot is clearer now although her temp did go up to 100.5 but I think its better now. She has been fussy, but I'm sure it because she was tired. She also didn't seem as interested in food tonight, but she did eat enough.
    kvanness0824

Comment by kvanness0824 (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• if you are concerned call her doctor and ask them as to what to do
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2011