Baby born at 27 weeks and 6 days.

A girl I know just had her baby about 3 months premature. He weighs 2lbs 6 oz and is doing ok. Have you had any experience with a baby so young? What can be expected in the next few months? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I honestly didn't know this was possible. Thanks for sharing though.
    AeroJuicy91

Answer by AeroJuicy91 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I used to work at the preschool with a little boy who was born at 24 weeks 0 days. He is a miracle baby!!!!! He is 6 now and doing awesome! Good luck to this baby's family.

SweetOrangeMama

Answer by SweetOrangeMama at 9:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• They are saving baby's born as early as 25 1/2 weeks now. The baby will be in the NICU for a few months. Will be given a drug to mature the lungs an extra nutrient rich formula to help it grow and gain weight, possibly put on a ventilator and oxygen. Lots of other things may be done depending on the babys conditions. Many many baby's go on to grow up perfectly healthy and normal lives. Science is a WONDERFUL thing today that they can save so many premature baby's.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My friend's daughter was born at 25 and a half weeks and is doing great.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:01 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My son was born at 24 weeks and 1 day his doing great nothing really wrong the 3 top thing what will happen is keeping the body temp up on there own learning how to eat/breath at the same time then just breathing on there own
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 10:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My daughter was born at 28 weeks gestation via emergency c-section; weighed 2 lbs., 2 oz. The baby will have to remain in the NICU until which time he can breathe on his own, feed properly, and maintain his body temperature. The NICU is the absolute best place for him; he will get the best care possible. Tell your friend that she needs to dialogue with the doctors and nurses and to not be afraid to ask anything. Make sure she does skin to skin contact with her new baby when she visits him in the NICU; she will also be encouraged to feed and change him, in essence, to bond. Easier said than done but tell her to try not to worry. With today's science, these kids do so well. My own daughter is now 10 and has had no lasting effects and is doing absolutely fantastic! Best of luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• my twin and i were born that early . i remember asking my dad a few years back how they dealt w/ it he said its just a long road ahead they do things at a different pace and may have a few more problems but i turned out ok so im sure that baby will too :)
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Best wishes to her. I pray everything is ok, I've not had any experience with this other than the Duggar woman on tv. He baby was smaller I think and is totally fine now.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My son was born at 24 weeks 0 days gestation and spent 112 days in the NICU...came home on his due date. Just as pp said, he will be in the NICU until he has learned to breathe and eat on his own. Medical technology and knowledge can do amazing things these days, he will most likely be fine. The biggest concern with babies born at such a young gestation is IVH (Intraventricular hemorrhage), which can cause serious brain damage. The NICU will do brain scans to detect and control this.

My thoughts go out to your friend's family...
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:36 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• my oldest son was born at 30 weeks via emergency c-section(I had went for my first non-stress test and they said that the umbilical cord had shriveled up to nothing and he wasn't getting any nutrition from me) weighing 2 pounds 2 ounces; spent 40 days in the NICU; had to learn to suck, swallow and breathe on his own and although he had to be hooked up to machines for awhile he is doing perfectly fine now. Just be there emotionally for her and let her do what she needs to do. They have come along way since my oldest was born and have alot more advanced technology now tell her don't be afraid to ask questions that is what the hospital staff is there for.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 12, 2011