Should they ban legal questions?

This comes up often, but there's one right now in the money and work section specifically, where someone is asking a serious question and getting some very wrong answers from people with no idea what they're talking about. What's worse, there are people constantly voting them up because they sound good, while the answers that are actually based on the law are being downvoted, because they aren't "happy" answers that tell the OP she's right and her ex-husband is wrong.

Granted, people shouldn't be making decisions based on advice from random strangers online to begin with, but the answer section is permanent. Unless the OP of that question deletes it, it will be there forever to show up in google searches whenever people look up similar issues, and seeing all that agreement seems to imply they are "correct" answers, when in truth, the advice she's being given by most of the answers is going to make her situation worse, not better, if she follows it. The same would apply to anyone else who followed it.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Yes, along with the medical questions. I am sometimes shocked at the poor advice given here, that moms follow.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yea, Im waiting to see the news someday with some CM Mom who's suing so and so for giving bad medical advice. The suit WONT get anywhere as CM states Answers is in NO way a substitute for medical intervention or Dr visits and to not take any answer as advice from a real Dr.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yes I agree with what the others say . Alot of the information in this section is misguiding, I think.
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Good question :) I'd like to think mommas on here realize this is sort of "Enter at Your Own Risk" sometimes, it is NOT the bible. While I have gotten loads of great helpful advice on here I also use my gut instinct.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• The "how do I start labor" ones with the answers to take Castor oil just KILL ME. Castor oil is a poison to the body and taken in higher doses than the label states can KILL the baby And the mother. Ask a Dr! Im not lying. Castor oil WILL NOT start labor! But what ya going to do when millions of Mexicans swear by it? 3rd world country people have little if any education. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• And you know I'm going to find the question in money & work right now lol
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:54 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'd venture to say a good portion of the women here, are smart enough to read the Warning Signs about CM. But, every so often we get a flush of the ignorant and I could easily see those women following the dumb advice given here. Like encouraging someone to file bankruptcy, and encouraging women to post semi nude pictures online, and so forth. It does lasts forever, the photos the names and the responses.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Even if you dont have ins or your own Dr. there's always Web MD for more accurate advice. And there's the bar assoc. to get a referral to a lawyer for a free or low cost consult. We cant protect people from themselves. We can only hope for the best. :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Actually, no. People should take everything here with a grain of salt to start with. This is not a forum of lawyers so the OP should not expect to get legally correct answers. Most people would only ask such for answers from people who might have been through the same thing. There are always stupid people, that's why they put warnings on things but most know they can only get real legal answers from a lawyer
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• CM is a place for advice / opinions, to hear other stories and their out comes, In the end it is only up to you as a person how you take the comments, at your own risk. I know some live by this site and thats a sad life. But it does help with a variety of different answers so that we can have alittle peice of mind and regain our thought process again. I would hope that people would use it as such and not the book of gold. LOL and if they don't then the realness of the world will surely let them know
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 10:15 AM on Apr. 11, 2011