So my daughter just turned 18....

And she blocked me on her Facebook....I know it's only FB but I took it as a slap in the face. Especially since I'm not a strict Mom and have been there through thick and thin for her. Thoughts from other moms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• There's not too many things you can do at 18. Voting, buying cigs, lottery tickets & dirty magazines- that's about it! -LOL Oh & cutting mom off from FB. It sucks when they think they're grown, but 18 is only legally an adult- it is by no means a measure of true maturity! As long as you keep the lines of cummunication open w/ her, then I wouldnt worry about the FB page. If you notice any changes in mood or behavior, or your gut tells you something is up, then do what you have to do. You are still mom, as she still lives in your house. GL!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Some things just need to be not seen by Mommy's she is 18 not a child anymore..............I am still a friend of my 17 and 23 yo daughters and I have to admit there are things some post on their facebook that I really wish I did not see....lol I don't think she means anything by it. Have you asked her about it?
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 10:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It IS hurtful. Sorry, Momma. She is just exercising her new found 'freedom' I think. She'll come back around, especially when she realizes life isn't all fun, all the time.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:59 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• @ buttonlts, yes I asked her why she blocked me and she said she didn't...but she did. I understand she has the right, guess
    I just took it the wrong way :-/
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• at 18 a "woman" thinks she knows everything.. she will get an eye opener and come back. personally, I dont have my mom on FB because I found it VERY weird to post things thinking family would get upset or not understand jokes and be worried.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I don't think you took it the wrong way. I think that is hurtful. Of course she has the "right" to block you, but that doesn't mean she should. Yes, my feelings would be hurt.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Most kids just have things they don't want parents to see. I am actually friends on all 3 of my kids face books since that is one way we communicate. None of them really say much I wish I hadn't seen.
    Maybe you should ask her what she is wanting to hide? If you have been a friend so that you could keep an eye on what goes on in her life like who she talks to etc she may just want the privacy she didn't have before.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I am 44 and my mother is my friend on facebook, I could care less about what she sees that I write, but sometimes somebody will post something she thinks is not right, and she comments on it,, okay mom settle down, to be honest,, I think facebook is for friends not for my mother! Also sometimes Facebook edits your friends on its own, I had a message about it a couple of months ago, I wouldn't worry about it too much!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i agree it is hurtful. my moms on my facebook and i dont really care what she sees. i pretty much tell her everything anyways but i would be hurt if my daughter did it to me. good luck
    adriana1024

Answer by adriana1024 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• The brutal truth is that kids don't want you to be their Facebook friends, plain and simple. Don't take it personally. They feel it is their media and theirs only and it is totally "uncool" for you to friend them or whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 11, 2011