How do parents manage to take their autistic child to the dentist?

How they maintain the patient immobilized during dentist visit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• With mine, I always tell the dentist office that my little one is autistic. I have to go into the room with him and get in the chair, then hold him down so that the dentist can do his work. Sometiomes the nurse has to help to hold his legs. We get it done, but, my lo does not like it. But, his teeth have to be cared for like everyone else's, so we do what we have to. In June, he has to go in for dental surgery. They will have to knock him out for that. He has a couple of small cavitites and also has to have some teeth pulled to make room for the teeth coming in. Not fun, but, we will get through it!
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If you have a children's hospital nearby, they may have a dental service & can sedate your child during procedures. If your child needs other things done, too, they may even be able to get them all done at once while your child is sedated. They do this at our local children's hospital. You could also look for a pediadontist/pediatric dentist who can do sedation denistry or find another pediatric dentist who is open-minded to working with children with special needs and is willing to take the time necessary to get your child acclimated to the process if you don't want to do sedation. You may also want to look into a social story to teach your child about going to the dentist & what happens while you are there, etc., to gradually introduce the idea to him or her. A few community visits to the dentist's office w/o having anything done can help, too, to get a child used to a new place & people.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I heard sedation... That doesn't appeal to me personally, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do, ya know?
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My friend has to either hold her daughter down or "drug" her and knock her out. :-(
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• well because they have to take there kids to the denist so have make sure they dont lose there teeth
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We have a wonderful children's dentist for our son, and we do use sedation to help him stay calm. Like laird says, you do what you gotta do. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2011