DH'S mother took out a credit card in his name when he was 15 without him knowing

We just found out about this when we went to check our credit reports (while he knew his credit score, he had never checked the report). Mine was great *yay me* but when we checked my DH's we saw that there was a credit card on it that was opened in 2001 (he was 15 then). It is maxed out and has been since 2009 at least (that is as far back as it shows). There is a payment made every month on time but as it is only the min, the balance never goes down. He called his mother and she said she opened it to give him credit history (which doesn't help since it is always maxed out). She also said that his name is only one name on the account, her's is on too but the report says his is the only one on. If we report this, can she get in trouble for credit card fraud? I don't know what to do because this is bringing is credit score WAY down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well the CC company should not have issued a card to a minor,,,it is against the law, I would tell her she must pay it in full by a certain amount of time or you will be forced to report it, and yes she can get in big trouble, Your husband can close the account now, and have her make the payments to get it paid, what the heck was she thinking?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:15 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would just ask her to mail the card to you or call the company and ask that they put it on suspension so that only payments can be made.. I have never heard of anyone getting a credit card before 16-18..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Nope, she cannot get into truoble...same thing happened to me. I was 16. All I could do was write a letter to the crediting agencies to have them note right on my report that the card was in my mom's name and that I was a minor.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• ^^I agree with the above.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:17 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If he closes the account it dings his credit score further. Just give mommy dearest an ultimatum. Pay it off in three months or you're filing a police report. That's BULLSHIT, I can't believe she did that!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Wow- well since she was legally in charge of him at the time it was opened, it is VERY possible- more like very probable, that she could be in legal trouble for doing this. Insist she cut up the card, close the acct & help her pay it down. That should not hurt your credit too much & will only improve as the debt gets smaller. GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• A 15 yr old cannot legally sign a contract. When you apply for a credit card you are signing a contract aggreeing to pay. I would be notifying the company that holds the debt and let them know this account is fraudulent. Personally, I would let the cards fall where they may. She broke the law and it's going to screw him for a long time to come unless he can get it removed. There is no familial relationship that makes it okay to steal someone identity, and that is exactly what she did.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I don't buy her statement that she did it to establish credit for him, if she had she would have told him. It is credit card fraud and identity theft and should be reported. What a scumbag mother he has.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• to those who can't believe she opened it when he was only 15, I am THINKING she lied about his DOB.

WoW!! That was really wacky. The only thing I can think of is her credit was crap and couldn't open one on her own.

Hopefully the credit limit is small, like $500 vs $2000.

Once they report fraud, they always have to verify and reverify when you do ANYTHING with your credit.

ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• the credit limit is $8000 and it is maxed out. She only pays the minimum so the balance never goes down
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2011