Do you think this is unprofessional?

We have a pest control service, and twice he's come by without confirming the appointment ahead of time...and of course we weren't there. Yes, we can always reschedule it...but I thought that it is professional courtesy to call us at least the day before to ensure we would be home.

What do think, is he being unprofessional?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 10:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would think so, they cant assume you will be there if you don't know to be there!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Nope, I don't think so. Were you told what time they would be there? If so, then they don't need to call to confirm.

Some companies will give you a range of time in which they will be there. Some will also call 30 minutes prior to arrival but they aren't required to even though it would be nice.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I don't think you should expect a call the day before. You set the day and time with him, you should put it on the calendar and be there. If something comes up for you, **you** call **them**. Yes, a courtesy call is always nice, but you should not be requiring it; esp. since you already know you're not going to get one.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 10:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• They should call ahead. Let you know: We will be there on Tuesday at 9:00.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It depends. If you have scheduled the appointment with them then its up to you to write it down and keep the information on hand. He cant be responsible to be your calendar. However, if he just comes at random times during the month, without letting you know. Then thats VERY unprofessional and he really needs to come up with a new system on when to come and visit homes.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Absolutely. We had that issue with our previous pest control service. They'd just stop by without calling. They had to spray outside and inside the house. When they sprayed inside, I needed to pick up all the kids toys off the floor or he'd just spray them and then I'd be washing toys all afternoon. After a couple times, I called the company to complain. I let them know if they couldn't give me notice of when they were coming by, I'd find a company that would extend me that courtesy. They started calling at least the day or two before to let me know when they'd be out. (Usually it was a "Hey, we're planning on being there tomorrow afternoon. Is that alright?")
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• He hasn't scheduled any appointments, or else I would know he was coming. That's pretty much what my post is about...him giving absolutely no notice that he will be there.
    art.diva

Comment by art.diva (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I agree that it is unprofessional to come without calling first to schedule it with you. Things like that drive me nuts!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would say it's unprofessional. THey should always schedule an appointment to come to your home, or should have set up a timetable in a contract on which times they would roughly need to return if it is an outdoor issue they are dealing with.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:17 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would like a courtesy call but you made the appiontment write it down, its your responsibility to keep up with things you have scheduled
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2011