Wondering what Gnostic is?

This is by no means a way of trying to "convert" anyone. This is simply information I found that I would like to share. If you have wondered what being Gnostic means or why Christianity is the way that it is today, you may be interested in watching this.

jenettyshome

Asked by jenettyshome at 9:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I watched all three. Very good points. We learn through questioning and experience. Many Christians live their life on blind faith they stop at what they are taught and never question. It's refreshing to see a christian sect go beyond that. They also realize there are certain things left out of the bible. The majority of christians do not believe that. To the majority the bible is the whole complete untempered with word of God.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Thank you.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would like to thank you for sharing this because it's something I have to admit I haven't really studied and I like to have a deep knowledge of all religions. I have only watched the first video and I have a couple questions for you.

Gnostic, from what I gather, is self-knowledge( deeper and advanced side of teachings. Do Gnostics not use any ancient text to go by?

It was said in the video that Jesus left hidden messages to get the keys to the kingdom, is there any historical texts to back this up?

Anyone can be Gnostic, does that mean people who don't believe in Christ as Lord can be Gnostic?

The teachings of Jesus and of the Disciples are used as a path to enlightement, how do Gnostics get to Heaven?

MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• cont. Can you give me the exact verse that is quoted from Galatians?

Do Gnostics believe that Jesus is Lord and Savior?

The comments on Paul, I don't understand how you can believe Paul was not teaching what Jesus taught. Can you give scriptural examples of where Paul goes against the teachings of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John? To say Paul was not teaching accurately would mean he went against the teachings of Christ.
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I cannot answer all your questions because I am not quite a teacher or minister yet; although I know that is something I am working on becoming... I decided to have children before I realized my deep interest in Gnosis. It's a lot to raise a family and also study all there is to learn. :)

1 - Yes, if you watch the whole program they will mention that there are deep messages just within the four gospels in the Bible. There are also those texts that have been recently found, such as the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Mary (Magdeline), and the Gospel of Judas. The only thing we like to stress is these are guides, not "rule books". The truth that is God comes from within and when you tap into the "exercises" of meditation (for instance) you become more aware of how that connection SPEAKS to you and shows you the right path.

jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• 2 - yes and no. There are going to be just as many historical texts telling you that what you have in the Holy Bible is all there is that you're supposed to have as there are texts telling you that you've been "deceived". But the more you seek a more spiritual path, even THOSE few texts open up in a whole new way. And it's funny how things start coming at you when you ask God to lead you.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• 3 - Gnosticism has always been around, way before the time of Jesus. Jesus is a master teacher in the path to finding divinity within.

4 - The kingdom of Heaven is within, it is with us at all times. We are always connected with the Other Side. It is only because we are in the physical and we sort of have "amnesia" when we're here. But Jesus also speaks a lot about reincarnation and that we will take on many lifetimes in order to learn what we are wanting to learn for ourselves and God. In between those lifetimes, we ALWAYS return to our true HOME in Heaven.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• 5 - I can't answer this question.

6 - Gnostics do not believe Jesus died on the cross. Most believe that he was crucified but he was taken down and his wounds were administered to. Which means we don't believe Jesus "died for our sins". Of course there are different gnostic sects (just like any other religious group) and there are different "thoughts" within each one. But MY church believes that Jesus is our Lord and Master and our Savior in the way that He shows us how to be what we are meant to be. Spiritual beings having a human existence on the path of re-learning our own divinity.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• thanks for posting the links! i watched all 3 videos & now im very interested. i've always felt like something was missing & ive always been very skeptical of Paul. even as a young child i didnt understand how Jesus could be about love & Paul could be so anti-women. i also never understood how Paul's word could be taken over Jesus'. i have heard some things about gnosticism from both gnostics & typical christians & wanted to know whats true & whats not. plus i have my own questions.
    do gnostics believe that our body's & our spirits are completely seperated? ive read that gnostics believe that no matter what sin you commit it doesn't matter because it was your body not your spirit.
    is buddism a historical form of gnosticism?
    how do gnostics "worship" or do they?
    are the other works of jesus & mary/judas translated & in book form?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2008