Job hunt

I am looking for a job, but I have been out of work for six years, not because I wanted to stay home, we couldn't afford childcare. This is the first year all three kids are in school all day. I have been looking since the beginning of the school year. How do I explain why I have been out of work with out saying we didn't have childcare? Or at least make it sound better. Also what else can I do to get hired after being out of work for so long? I will not lie on my applications, or resume, but I feel like this is holding me back. Any advice is helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't really have any good advice, I just wanted to say good luck, and that I hope you get some work soon!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would take some of the time off you had and explain it by saying you were raising children that is a wealth of life skills and also try to use any volunteer work you did. I was unemployed for almost six years I was writing and building a business it helped me a little bit but not much. So you can be truthful and point out all of the positive.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• not unemployed raising kids
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Why can't you put "Professional Home Worker"...it kind of sums it all up, not to mention it leaves a wide variety of skills you can list as experience to.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Have you thought of trying to work from home so you can set your own hours?
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 12:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You RAN a business - you kept to a budget, you were office manager, taxi driver, accounts payable and receivable......play up those skills. there are alot of websites that can help you with your resume. And you weren't unemplyed you were president and ceo of a family...the most important job EVER
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 12:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You chose to stay home with your children, not you are excited about rejoining the workforce.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2011