Which one do you feel is better; Child Care Center or Home Based Child Care?

I am doing a paper for school and I would like to find out people's opinions. If you would have to put your child (or have put your child) into child care which one do you feel is better; a child care center or a home based child care? Why do you feel this way? What is one advantage that your child receives at this type of child care? What is one disadvantage your child has from attending this type of child care? Any other information is also welcome.
Thank you in advance for all you lovely ladies who are willing to answer this and help me with my college paper.

AWomansMind

Asked by AWomansMind at 10:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I try to aviod bringing my kids to a in home day care.my daughter went to a child care center..ive heard so many horror stories about in home daycare that for me going to CCC means theres more closly followed rules and regulations and maybe a lilttle more structure. Not some crazy weird person watching my kids where there the only person watching a group of kids....LOL..the disadvantage for a CCC is that there is way more children, but i think thats the only one i can think of.....I hope this helps
    mckeemama

Answer by mckeemama at 10:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Homebased childcare-I think it's nice because it is more likely to offer care for babies. It's similar to the childs home setting and may be more comforting. You can get more personable care and more one on one time for child. Home care providers are likely mothers and may be more nurturing. However I do not like home child care because these people are human and if they're having a bad day who is there to help them or relieve them so they can go and have a moment to calm down. Also if the caregiver is sick, has sick children or goes on vacation you child is sent somewhere else and needs another adjustment time.
    Centrebased childcare-Can be impersonable and less likely to offer care to babies under a certain age. Centre based care offers more learning opportunities (imo based on my kids attending both centre and home care) and more social time with children their own age. In a centre you are accountable to a boss.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It honestly depends on alot of factors,, I had my son in home based until he was 2, then in a pre-school like setting, I have seen bad and good from both situations.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:51 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Home Based. While there are some that are bad (and seem to make headlines), most are superior.

I've worked in many centers when i was younger, and i wish i could tell parents all the horrors and wrongs i saw (and reported, i have my ethics intact). Some minor things, still wrong and upsetting, but some major worngs, that are illegal, abusive, and disgusting. There are so many things parents should know, but centers have ways of keeping things out of the news (great P.R. departments) and keeping workers mouth's shut (they make you sign confidentiality policies). I could go on and on about the disadvatages of center based care! I have several degree's in child development and education. I will never work in a center based care ever again. They are about money, not children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I do not think one is better than other , either could end up good or bad .i THINK IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• of daycare for your kids . Sorry hit the wrong button a sec ago
    Brandy928

• CCC means theres more closly followed rules and regulations

HaHaHa! You'd be so surprised to learn how the majority of centers ''cheat' the rules and regulations...and how!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Just depends on what your needs are.. My kids have been in both. I've found that as an infant / baby, we used home daycare because it was more"intimate" (not like that for you sickos) The home environment and closer connection to 1 provider. Once they were preschool age, that's where they went, to a preschool / daycare facility.

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would MUCH rather a child care center just because it is public and there are always people in and out with their kids so there are more eyes watching what is going on. YES I know every daycare home or public has it's issues but i hear far less issues with public ones
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:09 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I grew up in a home based daycare. my mom was a single parent working from 5 am to 7 pm.
    my whole childhood was at this lady's house, I got to have family meals and her husband would come home and play games I got to hang out with the whole family and felt apart of it as well as 2 other kids did. I gained so much from it and there is no way I could have had the warmth of a family daycare in a childcare center.
    Now with that said I have had my kids at various time in both types of childcare, and It wasn't a matter of what type of childcare it was more then it was about the quality of care they were getting
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 11:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011