I just found out that my sixteen year old has been smoking. His friends supply him with cigarettes. How can I get him to quit?

joanilene

Asked by joanilene at 10:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Who is he getting them from? I would ground him to the house!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• First off I'd find out if he's in the experimental stage or the addicted stage. Once people become addicted to cigarettes it is very difficult to get them to quit until they make that decision on their own, regardless of how old they are. I'd talk to him non judgementally, and see what he has to say about it and ask him why he smokes. Have him do some research on smoking, and just keep talking to him. If he is addicted you can set up house rules etc but he will only quit when he makes that decision himself. No parent wants to see their kids starting such a bad habit but unfortunately it does happen, and most smokers I know all started in their teens. Teenagers think they are invincible and don't see the long term affects that smoking will have on them. I smoke and unfortunately I have kids that smoke too. If there was a magic answer on how to get kids to not smoke, someone would be very rich by now. Good luck!
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I smoked growing up..started at age 10. quit at age 24..
    My mom would take them from me. and everything but Id get more & learned to hide more than 1 stash. I would smoke while taking a shower (parents smoked too so they couldnt smell it).. or anytime i could get some distance from them...
    Good Luck with stopping him. It is going to be hard without having him at your side 24/7. Even if you ground him for a long time. as soon as he is ungrounded he can start smoking again with his friends..Smoking is a huge comfort thing. Its like a security blanket u can take around your friends lol. if ur hanging out smoking it gives you something to do..
    I remember when me & dh quit. it was odd being in a group setting. we felt like something was missing. even now 4yrs later playing cards is odd without one in my hand.
    At this age they know the risk. they know cancer & all that but they feel it wont happen to them.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Not by pressuring him. You pressure him not to and he will keep smoking while lying to you.

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Ground him, and limit his time with friends. Good luck!
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• As I don't have a teen yet, all I can agree (w/KateShesGreat3's answer) on is grounding him and limiting his time w/his friends and explaining how important it is to keep healthy lungs. Shoot, go online and show him smokers lungs! lol. but seriously, if you continue to show concern and not badger w/some TLC.  It's up to us parents to guide them and hope we're doing what needs to be done. Long term affects are serious. Everyones body is different. Good luck in finding a way to help him stop that nasty habit.

MaMas06

Answer by MaMas06 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• well really the truth the best thing you can do is talk to him because if you like it or not he is going to do them any ways and you cant really ground him because that will not help him stop he is just going to keep doing it because he s addicted most likely and i agrre with mamas06 keep him away from friends and make him go to school to home he will not like it but those friend s of his are a bad influence and one day there going to try other things besides cigarettes if you dont take actions now believe me i no i was in the same situation as he was in ...
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I went through something similar with my son, he was chewing tobacco and his friends were getting it for him. He wouldn't disclose who was getting it, so there was nothing I could do on that front. You can ground him and limit his time with friends, but that's not going to keep him from sneaking a smoke before school or after school or when you go out of the house for errand. All it could do is build resentment and/or anger at trying to control his life.
    What I did was have a very long talk to with my son, and he was ground for a week. I made it a matter of trust because he lied about it and hide it from me. (not that I wanted him to do it but that's what made the most sense and it was the second time he was caught). We continue to talk about it, and he's been told its not welcome in our home. As far as I know he's stopped doing it and hanging out with the friends did. Communication is key.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• idk sorry your going through this
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 10:15 AM on May. 25, 2011