How can I get my son to try new foods?

My son is 3 and is the phase where he barely eats anything. I can't wait for him to get past this, but in the meantime, got any hints to how I can get him to try new foods, or at least get more nutrition into him??

Mommy2Max217

Asked by Mommy2Max217 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe try letting him pick things out for his self.. :0)
    Heartshape

Answer by Heartshape at 10:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My DD did this for about 4 months. I hid veggies in everything (msg me for ideas) that she would eat and at the same time continued to put it on her plate just as we were eating it. I encouraged her to try everything but never made a big deal of it. One day she just started eating it, and even asked for extra broccoli instead of dessert. This phase will pass.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Ya, I have a heck of a time to get my toddler to eat anything different! ugh. If I let him pick out his food it would be peanuts and fruit roll ups! lol. It's frustrating but I think I'll try hide veggies in someplace! Hope it works!
    MaMas06

Answer by MaMas06 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• In our house the rule is you must try everything on your plate. If you don't like it you don't have to eat anymore. If it's on your plate and you have tried it before and not liked it that's fine you still have to try it again.
    My dd is 3 and she is not so fond of fruits and veggies, there's a select few that she will actually eat willingly. I printed off a pic of a lady bug and every time she eats fruit she get's to color a circle on the ladybug. When all the circles are colored she get's to go to McDonalds for an ice cream. She chose the reward so that's what she's working towards.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Definitely only give the healthiest version of favorite foods. (Homemade mac n cheese with whole wheat pasta, etc.)
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 7:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• gosh...I'm in the same boat..............my son WOULD NOT try ANYTHING new. He'll smell it but thats it........
    MommyOK

Answer by MommyOK at 8:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2011