How can I get started?

I wasn't raised with a religion really, we went to church on Christmas Eve and Easter but that was it. I married into a religious family, we have very religious friends and I love that they have such a deep love and faith in God. I've always wanted something to believe in, and lately I've been getting so many signs and I feel like this is the perfect chance for me to join in. But where do I even start? I've gone to a few church functions, and yesterday I went to church (I went to the youth service because my BIL is studying youth ministry and he helps out with that service and plays music for it, I figured I'd start by easing myself into it haha).
....Now what?

Mommy2Max217

Asked by Mommy2Max217 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Start reading the book of John. Read it slowly and ask God to speak to you through what you are reading. If you have any questions, ask the pastor of the church you are attending. The Bible teaches that even faith is a gift from God, so you can ask Him to give you faith to believe.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• don't stop doing what ur doing. I didn't go to church forever bc I didn't know about God and I thought I would be embarrassed by everyone there. I bit the bullet and went with my mom. I found out u have to go to church to learn about God and if you are being embarrassed than you are in the wrong place. I'm soo glad I stuck n there bc my son just loves it.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 11:04 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Look at the church bulletin, bulletin board or newsletter for activities or classes that interest you and try them out. Phone the church office and talk to the secretary about activities or classes for church visitor women.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 11:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Read one of the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John). Pray for understanding and find out what your beliefs are. What does the scripture say to you? Find a church that has similar beliefs to yours. Everyone has a different understanding of the scripture. When you're trying to understand scripture, take into consideration the times that they were written. What is the historical background of the time period? It helps you to understand why things needed to be written the way they were. A non-denominational church might be a good place to start. They just preach from the Bible.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Book of John is the best book to start with. NannyB gave you an excellent suggestion!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Along with reading the Bible, talk with your family. I'm sure they would be happy to help you ease into it and answer questions. I think there are several groups here on CM that you could join that would help with questions that you have. Check with the church, they may have a class to help those new to the faith.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think CoffeeWriter gave an excellent suggestion. Most churches offer things designed just for the newbies. Good luck!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:34 AM on Apr. 12, 2011