Church nursery advice questions....

Our Church Nursery Coordinator has done such a crappy job...aka...NEVER cleans the toys, trash not taken out a lot of times, just plan nasty. So after complaints from a lot of moms...she quite. I have 3 little ones in there so I took on the job. I need some advice on what your Church does...or what you think is exceptable. First, infants and 2-3 year old are in the same room. I personally think they should be separate. I was thinking infant-walking in one room...then walking-3 year olds in the other. What else? Any advice would be great! Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think "walking" is a good cut-off. That could be a child anywhere from 8 to 18 months. I'd pick a specific age instead.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Our Church has it split up where it is Newborn-2yrs, 2-4, 4-5, and so on. GL
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 11:17 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i totally agree with your idea to separate. It was always such a problem w/ the 3 yos bullying or picking up the LOs at our church that I would never leave my kids in there. Besides that 2-3 yos can really start learning about God/Bible and should be getting a short lesson during that time. If you can't actually get a separate room to split up the kids, then I'd use the nursery funds to buy a room sized gate to split the room in half.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:17 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I worked in a church nursery and we had infants in one room. The rest of the kids 1 to 4 would be in another room. I also cleaned the toys and all the bedding,the kids rooms were sparkling. Then the older kids would learn the bible and do crafts.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:17 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• well im sorry im not gonna be much help but good luck although i do agree you might want to go by age and not walking
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I like all the kids together. At daycare, we have all ages together. They play together so nicely. The four years olds love the babies.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Our church begins Sunday School "classes" at 2 years old. Beginning at 2, kids are placed in age-defined classes with two teachers. They have story time, crafts and, depending on the age, play time. If classes are combined for size, it's likely 2-3 year olds, 4-5 yo, etc. Children younger than 2 go into nursery.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• was she lazy or taking on too much if she was taking on too much you may want to recruit people to help. Our church does a background check for people working in the nursery. We have 2 people at a time in the rooms so it would be much harder for adult mischuff to occure. And if there are too many kids for 2 adults which a daycare can have up to 7 per adult over age 1 than you need to split them up. I hope I helped.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 12:27 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Our church has babies in one room, "creepers" in another - this includes those that are walking holding on to things and those that just started walking so age range of 9-15 months usually, ones, twos, then three; but we have a large church and the space for all of that. If only two rooms I'm not sure the best way to split them up. Also, we always have at least 2 adults in each room but we only have one paid position which is a director and then the actual caretakers are all volunteers - parents with nursery age children are put on the schedule once Sunday per quarter and then non parent members can volunteer as well. The volunteers are responsible for cleaning the toys that are used that week and spraying all areas with clorox spray.

Answer by missanc at 12:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We have about 6-7 sometimes up to 10 2-3 year olds. We now have 2 infants. My husband and I are debating on doing having a "class" for the 2-3 year olds that we would be "teaching" and then get volunteers as a back up if we can't do it, or need help. We aren't so sure about giving up our Couple class yet though :-( But then get 1-2 volunteers for the infant-1year old room. It is SO hard to get people to work in either rooms so I think that would be the best way so that we would only need to get volunteers for the infant room. I however, don't agree with putting the infants in the same room as the 2-3 year olds. While my 3 year old knows not to give our 4month old crackers...other kids might now. And you never know what could happen in a room with 2 infants and 6-10 kids.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2011