Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

How do you make yours?

heathermichelle

Asked by heathermichelle at 11:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• 50/50 tomato sauce and ketchup, italian seasoning, oregano, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, 2 cap fulls of apple cider vinegar
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:27 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• There are a million ways to make it and many people will tell you it isn't good if it doesn't cook all day, but my recipe is fast and DELICIOUS!

I saute onions and garlic in a small amount of olive oil, add a large can of crushed tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste. Simmer for 15 minutes and add a tablespoon of sugar and balsamic vinegar. Then I add fresh minced basil. Cook 5 more minutes and adjust for flavor, add salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar as needed.

That is it, delicious sauce in 25 minutes. It is easily multiplied. I always make a huge pot and freeze in bags just what we need for one meal, so I always have some on hand.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i add all the ingredients to my crockpot and let it all simmer and come together. pretty much just the basics: tomato sauce, tomatoes, onion, garlic, seasonings, and a little sugar
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I don't . No one will share their authentic recipes. But I found an imported brans that tastes pretty darn good. I got it in an Italian specialty market ,it's called Don Pomodoro.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My grandmother was born in Italy and that is how she made her sauce.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My Italian FIL's sauce was delish. It can be any tomatoes, but plum tomatoes are best. He would saute an onion in olive oil until the onion was starting to brown. Then add 2 - 38 ounce cans of plum tomatoes, cut up (liked chunky sace) and oregano, basil, salt and pepper. He just poured in the spices so I would always start with about 2 T of oregano, 1T of basil, and maybe 1/2t salt, few shakes of pepper. And I added a little minced garlic also. Then after it simmers for awhile you can adjust those spices to taste. He would cook it for maybe 2 hours. If you don't want it to take that long you can add a can of tomato paste.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I am not Italian, and I'm sure this won't, to most people, qualify as spaghetti sauce, but my kids LOVE it. I take 2 days to make it - the first day I chop up my veggies - eggplant, summer squash or zucchini, carrots, celery, peppers, onions, and whatever else I have on hand that I feel like throwing in. Day 2 - the whole works goes into my electric roaster - I end up with about half tomatoes, half everything else. I add basil, parsley, a little pepper, a shake of salt & a tiny bit of sugar. I let it cook all day, stirring every couple of hours. Once it's all soft enough, I run my immersion blender through it (we don't like chunks). If it's not red enough or doesn't taste tomato-y enough, or is thin, I add some tomato paste. I reseason, then bag up and freeze (I don't can). So kind of like a marinara that's blended, I guess?
    Anonymous