Drinking too much milk 2yrs old

My son is 2 and a half and basically only drinks milk!

I asked my doctor about 6 months ago and he said don't worry about it, it is normal 2yr old behavior to not eat. But it is now getting really old.

He drinks countless numbers of milf from his cup everyday and still get's up at night to get 1,2,3, sometimes maybe even 4 cups throughout the night. usually not that many, but it did happen last night. He had three days of sleeping through the night then that.

I never stopped giving him his milk when he went to bed because it was too hard to get him to goto bed without it. Now it's just ridiculous, he has a least two to three cups before he even falls asleep most of the time. If I tell him no he gets really upset and I feel really bad like maybe he needs it?

I can't take his milk aways during the day and night? what should I do?

milf661

Asked by milf661 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Milk overnight is not good for his teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You are just going to have to let him live without the milk at night. I understand that it's too hard for him to go to sleep but it's like getting him off the bottle or the pacifier. Let him cry it out. It'll be a tough couple nights but it will be worth it in the end
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• you should only be giving him 3 cups of milk per day, maybe even just 2 if you give him a lot of cheese, yogurt and other sources of dairy. he's not eating because he's full on milk, and this will make him become anemic and other health issues can follow. you're just going to have to be tough and know that he doesn't NEED that much milk, stick to your guns and let him have his fit or offer him water. my middle daughter was a milk junkie and drank so much her limbs started turning orange! she was getting too much or too little of a certain vitamin. she got over not being able to have it so much and now her "color" is normal. also at bedtime she gets a sippy but ONLY water. 4 cups of milk during the night is horrible for his teeth! water only at bedtime!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• you ever tryy milk substitute like almond milk for some of the glasses?
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 11:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My son did this. I switched at night and before bed to water. It was so much easier not to have to go to the fridge, and better for his teeth.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My daughter drinks a ton of milk (but she eats well too) our doctor's one concern was that too much milk isn't good for them either. She told us that it can cause anemia in children. Sometimes we just have to tell her you can't have milk until it's time to eat dinner, or you can have your milk after you finish eating your real food. Most day's she does fairly well with that. Maybe offer your child some diffrent foods before giving him the milk.
    Jamie-Leigh

Answer by Jamie-Leigh at 11:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2011