How can I reduce the apperance of her scar?

We had a little accident yesterday and my 4yo had to go to the ER. She got 5 stitches and she is doing really well (though I feel awful), but I am worried about it scaring since it is very prominent on her face. The dr said that since she is still little it will heal nicely, but she will still most likely have a scar when she is older.

Does anyone know anything I can do or any creams that I can use (once it's healed of course) to reduce the apperance of the scar? Thank you.

Thank you everyone for the answers and advice! It's looking really good already, but I will still probably put something on it to make sure. :)

musicmomma_89

Asked by musicmomma_89 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My son got two stitches in his forehead a few weeks ago... I just put A&D ointment on it 3x a day for a while, and even a while after they took the stitches out.. It doesnt look too bad now and I think once he grows and the skin stretches it will be less noticeable.. But I am thinking about buying that one stuff called Maderma I think? It for scars.. GL!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Poor baby! Try Mederma for scars, I think Palmers has a scar cream also.
    damselphish

Answer by damselphish at 11:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Mederma for kids. You can check the age on the back, but it is an idea.I know that mederma works great and they are now selling mederma for kids.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Melaleuca Oil Is the best stuff, my DD had a bad cut on herself and I thought for sure it would leave a scar. I put some Melaleuca oil on it and it completely disappeared.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 11:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• my nephew had stitches in almost the same exact spot. my sister was told by the Dr. to make sure to always put sun block on it (after it healed) to help minimize the scar and it worked. He had the stitches about 3 yrs ago and you dont really see it anymore unless you're looking for it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My dd broke her arm and required surgery and pins. The scar is pretty nasty. My doctor said to try the Vitamin E and cocoa butter to reduce the scar, and she said if that did not work she could suggest other things. There are some things you can ask your pediatrician about. Mine said she wouldnt prescribe anything unless my dd was somehow very upset over her scar and it was hurting her emotionally.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/178938-list-of-prescription-scar-reducing-creams/

Answer by gemgem at 12:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• no sun ,no more accidents in that area you must look for her , at nigh cocoa butter and in the morning wash soft the area. if you doit every day it will be no notice during the years....
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• our 4th son took a tumble off his grandma's bed and cut his face. He didn't need stitches, but he did get a nasty scar. We started using mederma and over the past several weeks we have noticed a big difference.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• A&D to keep it moist , and clean cocoa butter & vit E does wonders!!!
    triplettmama06

Answer by triplettmama06 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Get vitamin E capsules...put a little prick in it and squeeze it out onto the scar and rub in. You can do this several times a day..and continue to do it until it looks better.I had a nurse reccomend this to me when my oldest son was 3 and he fell and had to have stitches in his eyebrow..worked great.
    Good Luck..hope it heals quickly! Poor girl :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2011