Honest question for Non-JW Christians...

I grew up JW. And was always taught that God created Earth to be a perfect Paradise and that he would return that purpose after Armageddon. I've heard from other Christians that this belief is "wrong" according to what they believe. However, one thing that we were taught backed up this believe was the Lord's Prayer. Specifically this part - "Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

My question is, does your belief system include a belief that the Earth will once again be a paradise? And if not, what do you see that part of this very common prayer to be praying for?

Just something I've often wondered about...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I did hear that from my JW relatives growing up. They believed it with all their heart. It is a lovely notion.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i see it more on a personal level. (and this is one of those scriptures i always use KJV for..poetically, is sounds, idk, more wunnerful to me.)
    ''thy kingdom come (His perfecting), thy will be done (self-explanatory, what He wants for us, of us), on earth (in me/us) as it is in Heaven."
    IMO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I do believe that our souls will be in paradise, I just don't know that it will be here on earth. Interesting question.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• "does your belief system include a belief that the Earth will once again be a paradise?"

Yes. I believe that after Satan has his reign over the Earth, that this earth will either be detroyed and a new one made, or this one will be made perfect again. This is where believers will be. I believe that prayer to be something for our time...we're on earth, and right now there is a seperate "heaven", or as some say "paradise".
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Mine does. And Im NOT a JW Christian. Jesus WILL return for the judgment of us all and have a 1000 year reign on earth with mankind.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• ive always thought that part of the Lord's Prayer was praying for Earth to be more like God's kingdom & for His will to be done...like in Heaven. not so much saying that Earth will become Heaven. its not something ive thought a lot about tho.

ive never understood why some Christians think the JW idea of Earth becoming paradise as wrong. its never seemed all that far fetched to me & actually makes more sense than a lot of the other ideas of Heaven ive heard. ive talked to strict Christians (my family) and they all say this idea makes a lot of sense.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yes Jesus will return to this earth and reign in the New Jerusalem which will be where it is now but transformed. Heaven will come to earth and yes the earth will be restored. This is why I believe that it will be those that choose not to believe will be taken off the earth, not the believers for it says blessed are the gentle for they shall inherit the earth.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I am not JW and I do believe that the earth will be restored to it's original state of perfection.
    MistyBlueMom

Answer by MistyBlueMom at 11:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I am not JW but studied with one for over a year with my husband...I do believe that the earth will be entirly destroyed and rebuilt as paradise .......I have scripture if you want to back pm me .......will prob respond tomorrow tho...lol
    doula-mom25

Answer by doula-mom25 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Rev.21:1 "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea." So I believe the earth as we know it will not last forever.
    I believe "thy kingdom come" is saying that we must pray for Christ's return and the establishment of God's eternal kingdom in the new heaven and the new earth.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2011