....The Measles????....

is the measles REALLY as bad as the DR's try to make it seem?? because the DR's make it sound like the disease if a killer, but yet all these none vaccinating parents say the disease rarely kills any children, and they usually recover just fine. they say a child is more likely to die or have problems from the shot, then they would from the disease....im so confused.

chrissyrissyroo

Asked by chrissyrissyroo at 11:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Research for yourself. Everyone has an agenda and will find things to support their beliefs.
    Anonymous

• The disease is deadly. That is why they came up with a vaccination for it. Today if a child catches it they tend to get a watered down version if they have had their shot to protect against it.

Answer by gemgem at 12:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Nope. It's a rough time, but if you treat it, it's not deadly or going to cause any long term damage. I can name probably 10 people I know personally who have had it and are still here, healthy and kickin... Just like with anything else, if your kid gets sick, take them to the doctor, treat them and keep them hydrated. IF children die from it, they do so because they weren't treated or weren't treated properly. It's also worth noting that even with a vaccine your child isn't protected from catching measles.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• U can die from the measles. And i am not sure but I'd like to know what the statistics are of deaths among ppl who get measles (like back before vaccines when a lot of ppl were getting them) versus the complications ppl keep talking about as far as vaccines go.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Here are some good links and you can read for yourself and than decide if it is worth the risk. For us it was. I know I couldnt live with myself if I didnt vaccinate and my kids died from a preventable disease or were carriers and gave it to a friend who might die.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/rxforsurvival/series/diseases/measles.html

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs286/en/

Answer by gemgem at 12:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Measles are usually only deadly if you live in a very poor country. If you have access to wonderful medical system and medicines and clean hygiene, then you are more than likely going to live through most of the childhood illnesses unscathed.

If you get the vaccines, you are NOT immune for life. You just may get a less severe case of whatever you were vaccinated for.

If you get the actual diseases, then, you are almost always immune for life.

Lot's of kids have negative reactions to vaccines, lot's of kids don't have any reaction.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's also worth noting that YES, you CAN die from Measles, BUT you can also die from a UTI left untreated. But, here is the information about Measles Deaths - do the research, decide for yourself.

http://www.whale.to/v/measles_deaths.html

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• This is for Rhonda -http://www.whale.to/vaccines/MeaslesDeathsbyPopulation1901-95.pdf

This graph shows the number of deaths per year from 1901 to 1995. The year (1968) where the vaccine was introduced is also marked so you can see how much (or little) it really did to lower death rates.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• right but there is no treatment "medicine" that treats measles, it has to run its course....so if it went to the lungs or brain, there really isnt a medicine you can give them to stop that from happening.
    chrissyrissyroo

Comment by chrissyrissyroo (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Wow, I really got voted down for the TRUTH and factual info? First off. Do any research and you can read everything I wrote.. From Any doctor.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2011