Why is she so scared of the water?

My youngest DD has always been a little terrified of the water, but lately to give her a bath has been a challenge. She doesn't mind sitting in the tub, but once I try to lay her back in the water to get her head wet or use a cup to wet her head, she freaks out. So bad that last night she threw herself sideways and almost went face first in the water (I caught her before her face went in) I don't understand why she is so scared. I try reassuring her that mommy is here and won't let anything bad happen and I try to soothe her as I try, but nothing works. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? Lately she has even been terrified of the rain when we are in a car. The water hitting the window scares her also. No matter what I do to show her it is ok the rain won't hurt her. I don't understand what is wrong.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is small, not quite understanding of how it all works and doesn't know how to respond except to be scared. Just continue to reassure her and eventually, she will come around.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My daughter was the same way. She is still scared at 8. For baths I used to have her hold a wash cloth over her eyes while I poured water on her head.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011