What do you think of this FB status?

"Planned Parenthood receives $330 million a year in federal funds and are the nations largest provider of abortions. So the next time our government is headed for a shutdown I suggest some of you ladies learn how to keep your legs shut, take a pill or how about take responsibilty for your actions. Oh you gentlemen need to learn how to wrap it up! You didn't think I was going to let you men off the hook, did ya?"

This was someone's status on my News Feed this morning.    I just don't see how we have any room in this country for laws/bills based on morals or religion.  Everyone is not the same religion, and all people don't have the same "moral code".    And please, somebody explain this to me;  If the Republicans had their way and abortion was completely illegal, who is going to take care of all these babies???   Maybe if you don't have a uterus, you should discuss uteruses....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Here's my response to questions like that:

The Hyde Ammendment has been in effect since 1976, and it prohibits federal funding to pay for abortion except in the case of Rape, Incest, or a medically necessary reason.

Here's my questions to those who are Republicans and hide behind their "morals". Are they also against the death penalty? Morally wouldnt they want funding for the elderly, the less fortunate, the children? Where are their "morals" when they are cutting funding for that?
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 12:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Another thing, "morally" wouldnt they want funding to go to cervical cancer screenings, prevention, and education provided about sexual health by Planned Parenthood?

ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 12:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's very poorly worded, but I sort of get the meaning. If more time and focus were put into education and birthcontrol, then there wouldn't be so much money put into what are often unnecessary medical proceedures.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• First, I think someone is highly uneducated about what PP is all about! The ONLY reason they are the "nation's largest" provider of abortions is because they are one of the very very very few medical programs which has offices in ALL 50 states. Most doctors practices can't reach that volume (even though many clinics do more by percentage) simply because they have SO MANY offices... Percentage wise they aren't providing more than many other doctors.

Secondly, I think Who the hell are you to tell anyone else what to do with their body?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• First off all it is illegal for the government to fund abortions. So that is not what planned parenthood is about. Planned parenthood helps women get birthcontrol, get a pap, and breast exams to help text for cancer among other things. So this person on your news feed needs to do a little homework before they open their damn mouth. The part that im more upset about is why women can get all of these free exams and men dont get anything....they need to have their prostate checked and that along with condoms would be a hell of a lot cheeper then the exams and pills for women..But the gov dosnt help men out at all...I do agree with the person to an extent though.abortions should not be used as a form of birthcontrol....I am pro choice but I have strict guidelines that I feel they should follow. But this person needs to do their damn homework read the news and the bill they are bitching about...amazing what can happen when you read
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Hmm,...I don't see anything in that status to indicate a morality stance. Perhaps, since you know the person, you know there is one implied, but the text alone appears to be about personal responsibility. *shrug* And I happen to agree. If you're going to have sex, be ready to be responsible for all the consequences.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• "If the Republicans had their way and abortion was completely illegal, who is going to take care of all these babies???"

I have asked this exact same question here on CM before. So many people came on here claiming they would adopt. If abortion were illegal, tax payers would now be paying for all these unwanted children in orphanages.

Women get easy access to free care because many more issues arise with vagina's than with penis's. This is just the truth. Our reproductive organs are MUCH more complex than a man's & require much more special care.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i don't think anything about that FB status. its just a place for them to spout off their immediate thoughts. no more, no less.
    if this person feels this way, they owned it. no matter how wrong i think he/she is, or uneducated, or misinformed, not to mention tactless.
    but on the offside, i think its funny. in a sad way...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Wow. How uneducated is that person? I'm not going to rant about how wrong that statement is, but the person who wrote is obviously very uneducated and a total tool.

KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I just don't see how we have any room in this country for laws/bills based on morals or religion.

So, we should be giving PP money because some irresponsible people have no morals? Um, no. It is about being RESPONSIBLE for yourself and your decisions. You want to have sex GREAT! Pay for your own birth control or condoms. YOUR choice, YOUR body,   YOUR money, YOUR responsiblity TO PAY FOR why is that so hard to understand?

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011